Proposed Loss of Anchorage area at Portimao

greeny

Visit site
I'm posting this link along with some associated ones to highlight the massive project that is being initiated in the Portimao Arade river. The project has many downsides for the village of Ferragudo and surrounding beaches some of which will completely disappear to be replaced with rock walls. The project includes the dredging of 2 turning circles for large cruise ships, one down near the fish dock and the other at the mouth. The turning circle at the mouth will increase water depth to 11m and will encroach into the "anchorage" taking out a rough estimate of 50% of available area. The area off Ferragudo village disappears completely as an anchoring option.
I'm going to post th details of the project along with a link to a petition which is aiming to stop this destruction of the village and river beaches. Anyone who feels they have vested interest and want to contribute to the petition can do so on that link. Any difficulties in doing that can be forwarded to myself and I'll try and walk you through it.
And yes, this is a blatant request for your signatures, we need them to force national government review of this scheme. If you have any interest in the beauty and preservation of this area please participate.

Defensores de Ferragudo | NÃO à destruição! SIM à preservação!

Rui Mesquita

João Martins Ramos
1597737792931.png

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
Remember anchoring there, a useful anchorage, would be sorry to see it go
Many boats use it as their summer base and avoid the high marina costs, moving into the marina on cheaper contracts for the winter months. Along with the increasingly popular Ferragudo anchorage which will disappear completely if this project goes ahead.

RobbieW

Visit site
Its a lovely anchorage and it would take away one of the two reasonably well protected places along the Algarve. Anchoring off Ferragudo is already scary when a cruise ship comes in o_O

How does one 'sign up' to object ? Had a look at the Facebook stuff and theres no obvious link to something

greeny

Visit site
Its a lovely anchorage and it would take away one of the two reasonably well protected places along the Algarve. Anchoring off Ferragudo is already scary when a cruise ship comes in o_O

How does one 'sign up' to object ? Had a look at the Facebook stuff and theres no obvious link to something

CONTRA O AUMENTO DA CAPACIDADE DO PORTO DE CRUZEIROS DE PORTIMÃO

Hopefully this link will get you there.
Its a two stage process.
When you fill it in you need to enter the email and an official number of some sort. Residents use the residencia number, others use their fiscal number. Others have even used their uk driving license number it doesn't seem to matter.
Then you will receive an email back. You will then need to click the link in that email to go there and your email address gets verified on that page. Unless you do the last bit your signature does not count. This step is their security part.

greeny

Visit site
Wow some dredging. Just seen the estimate. 46 millions tons of river bed to be removed and dumped at sea. Well not quite, 10 %of that is being dumped on the beaches on the East bank of the river, Mohle Beach and Pintadinha beach. Strangely enough, nothing being dumped on the Portimao side of the river, who just happen to be the sponsors for the project along with the port authority. Now that's a surprise.

nortada

Visit site

I will support the cause, using my residency number.

One of the two reasonably well protected places along the Algarve.? What is the other one?

nortada

Visit site
Wow some dredging. Just seen the estimate. 46 millions tons of river bed to be removed and dumped at sea. Well not quite, 10 %of that is being dumped on the beaches on the East bank of the river, Mohle Beach and Pintadinha beach. Strangely enough, nothing being dumped on the Portimao side of the river, who just happen to be the sponsors for the project along with the port authority. Now that's a surprise.

How long will this project take?

[163233]

Visit site
Hopefully the banks will slip into the holes making the anchorages larger.

Spent a couple of nights there last year, when the clipper race was in (hogging the fuel berth). It's a useful anchorage with lots of free music, but I can see that Portugal has to focus on the money.

greeny

Visit site
How long will this project take?
I don't know but this is the second or third time they've tried to push it through. The last time was 2013. Each time they come back the project gets bigger and more damaging to the local community.
The project documents are all in Portuguese and are photocopies online so I can't google translate them easily.
I'm actively trying to find "original" project documents online so I can translate and fully understand. Until then, I am relying on the posts from portuguese contributors to help me.

greeny

Visit site
View attachment 96935View attachment 96936
Has this marina project been abandoned? There is not enough space for the dredging project and the marina.
M.
Not abandoned just delayed yet again for the n th time. There is a lot of mixed feeling about the marina project, some want it some don't but one things for sure, if the dredging goes ahead there will not be space left for the marina project as it stands.

nortada

Visit site
Believe there are ancient wrecks in the area so a archaeological campaign group may stop it. They have already started a debate in the Resident and Portugal News; concerning the wrecks on the bottom - not the ones at anchor. :D

All they need to now is to discover some endangered newt or worms. Of, better still sea-horses or migratory birds. Don't the flamingos gather there spring and autumn, if not they could be flown in from Alvor or the Guadiana. The odd sighting would stop it dead.??

The Studland Bay group may be able to offer tactical advice.

greeny

Visit site
The local people in Ferragudo and Portimao all know that there is no money coming their way from the dredging project. The money will be the payment to the port authority for docking and use of the facility. It will maybe make a few jobs but not many. The passengers on the ships we've been getting for the past few years, get on coaches and go for a drive tour of the Algarve, up Monchique for the views from Foia and then to Sagres to visit the "End of the World." Then back to the ship for the free booze and food. Very little gets spent in the local community in my experience.

greeny

Visit site
Believe there are ancient wrecks in the area so a archaeological campaign group may stop it. They have already started a debate in the Resident and Portugal News; concerning the wrecks on the bottom - not the ones at anchor. :D

All they need to now is to discover some endangered newt or worms. Of, better still sea-horses or migratory birds. Don't the flamingos gather there spring and autumn, if not they could (be flown in from Alvor or the Guadiana). The odd sighting would stop it dead.??

The Studland Bay group may be able to offer tactical advice.
The main force behind the protest is coming from the portuguese residents and it should n't be any other way. Good idea to enlist the Studland Bay group but I don't think I could influence the Ferragudo movement in that direction.

Yes there are many artifacts that have deliberately been left or re-buried in this estuary due to the lack of onshore storage for the preservation of the items. This seems to have been completely ignored by the project proposals according to the locals.
Lots of debate going on about this and project as a whole in the press down here.

Job for the afternoon. Off to the sand dune area (proposed marina area) to find some extremely rare flora or fauna. :) Anyone got any spare seahorses?