Prop shaft separated from gearbox

Tupper32

Visit site
hi I have a volvo penta 2003 engine and yesterday whilst manoeuvring onto a mooring the prop shaft separated from the gearbox and migrated through the seal. I managed to push it back into the boat from out side and push back into the collar at the gear box and tightened it all back up and seems to be okay now.

Hairy moment as we were taking on water, we’re drifting in strong Easterly towards rocks and thinking the whole shaft and prop had been lost! what would cause this to have happened? picture of the prop shaft attached. thanks for any thoughts…

Attachments

• IMG_3365.jpeg
    IMG_3365.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 94
  • Wow
Reactions: Obi

Tupper32

Visit site
I assume the hexagon-headed bolt should have a pointed end and engage with a deep dimple in the shaft. If not it would be worth arranging these.
yes the bolt is now in the dimple on the shaft….we hit a crab pot last Summer and I wonder if it could have caused the shaft to come slightly dislodged as after I’d reseated it there is10mm very shinny metal close to the seal?

Ianthediver

Visit site
hi I have a volvo penta 2003 engine and yesterday whilst manoeuvring onto a mooring the prop shaft separated from the gearbox and migrated through the seal. I managed to push it back into the boat from out side and push back into the collar at the gear box and tightened it all back up and seems to be okay now.

Hairy moment as we were taking on water, we’re drifting in strong Easterly towards rocks and thinking the whole shaft and prop had been lost! what would cause this to have happened? picture of the prop shaft attached. thanks for any thoughts…
can you tell me what size in diamita the shaft is on your boat?

sailoppopotamus

Visit site
Yanmar flange couplings don't typically have a grub screw. I fitted a new split half coupling from R&D engineering, which allows for a grub screw to be installed, but I intentionally (yet perhaps erroneously) did not install one.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
If the hex-head screw is overtightened it will tend to open up the split-coupling, which is te last thing you want to happen.

If the hex head screw is overtightened on to the shaft that on its own will stop the shaft from loosening

I would like to know is that hx head screw dimpled into the shaft.

This looks like it is a alternative wy of what a grub screw would do

Grub screws are hardened an would tend to bite into the softer shaft even without a dimple

I have a deep row ball bearing thrust bearing on mt prop shaft which is held by grub screws and taper lock bushes on either side of the thrut bearing

Poignard

Visit site
The torque is transmitted by friction between the inner faces of the split-clamp coupling and the shaft, not by the pointed end of the hex-head grubscrew.

As a matter of fact, my split coupling does not eevn have a grubscrew and it has not shifted in the 21 years it has been in service. It relies entirely on friction.

If a pointed grubscrew is to be used, this is a better arrangement:

1687265547669.png

Here the grubscrew is screwed in until it engages in the conical recess [dimple] and no further. Then it is locked in position with the locknut.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
My prop-shaft coupling uses a taperlock bush to hold the prop-shaft in place but does use a key and keyway to transmit the torque

I have a flexable coupling between the prop shaft and the gearbox flange

I have a PSS seal which will also prevent my prop-shaft from exiting the boat

Together with the ball trust bearing I have belt braces and a piece of sting

The coupling you posted is machined from one piece of steel but the one the OP posted looks like 2 separate pieces and I cannot see how rge connection is made If it is one piee that is fine

Poignard

Visit site
I only posted that picture to show the grubscrew as an example. The split-clamp coupling is not the same type as the OP's.

The OP's is one piece. I did find a photo of one like it this morning but I didn't keep it. I'll see if I can find it again.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Yes the one you posted is from Norris which has 4 clamping screws 2 each side as the one I have on my workbench

The one the OP posted only has 2 clamping screws 1 each side which is why it also has the hex set screw to clamp on to the shaft

The R&D Marine 5" Split Clamp On Coupling also has 4 clamping screws

The higher max torque / prop shaft diameter the more clamping force is needed

Last edited: