Prop *need* replacing?

citygent111

Visit site
Posted these pics on my tractor escapades thread, but thought it best to have a separate question here.....

Short version is that the prop hit the sand this weekend, and possibly something a bit harder.

Not bent but a small chunk missing from each blade, and the edges are a little "jagged". Each blade looks almost exactly the same.

Does the prop NEED to be replaced? I know it ought to be for performance etc, but I'm skint right now thanks to a dodgy VW engine, so hoping this might last a couple of months until I can replace it.

What do you think?

Attachments

• 20230604_095501.jpg
    20230604_095501.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 20230604_095511.jpg
    20230604_095511.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30

roa312

Visit site
We had a damaged prop on a Volvo Penta DPH drive and I can tell you the advice we got at the time. The damage on our prop was worse compared to yours but strangely we didn't experience a significant drop in performance. We did however experience vibrations when we went above a certain level of rpm (I don't remember the exact level). The advice we received is that so long as we stayed well out of "vibration" territory then things would be fine and we could continue sailing - but the prop obviously had to be replaced. Also, I think you want to check the drive for damage where I believe stainless steel props are more likely to "conceal" internal damage. Our boat has two drives connected by a tie bar/link rod (not sure of the english name) and I'm thinking that may also have been an extra concern re vibrations. But I would recommend that you check with professionals on this!

jon and michie

Visit site
Does the prop NEED to be replaced? I know it ought to be for performance etc, but I'm skint right now thanks to a dodgy VW engine, so hoping this might last a couple of months until I can replace it.

What do you think?
Put it this way and this is down to experience - if the hub of the propeller is now slightly off true after your impact then it will cause vibrations through the leg which will then lead to damaging your leg cost of a new leg from volvo with new props £16k (i know yours is not a duo prop or volvo)
but think of the cost of a new or repaired prop vs the cost of a new outdrive and new prop ???

Last edited:

citygent111

Visit site
Spoke to the guys at Castle Marine in Caernarfon this morning - I can drop it off there next time I'm over with the boat. They can repair it for £55 + p&p. Better than £250 for a new one!! I won't be going out on the water again until at least end of this month, and they only need a week to sort it, so should be as good as new!

That said, someone's recommended Pwllheli as a decent store & launch site so might head over this weekend to take a look.

Seastoke

Visit site
Posted these pics on my tractor escapades thread, but thought it best to have a separate question here.....

Short version is that the prop hit the sand this weekend, and possibly something a bit harder.

Not bent but a small chunk missing from each blade, and the edges are a little "jagged". Each blade looks almost exactly the same.

What do you think?
Where are u based.

Hot Property

Visit site
That looks like an outboard leg, what HP is it? I would file rough edges off equally so as not to unbalance the prop further....

citygent111

Visit site
That looks like an outboard leg, what HP is it? I would file rough edges off equally so as not to unbalance the prop further....
It's actually an Alpha sterndrive - it may be because i to the photo at an odd angle and it was trimmed up too! But it's a good idea, I'll give that a go. Thanks