Professional skipper licenses request

Capt Yeyo

Visit site
Hi friends,

I need you for a question. I have a Dutch 22m sailing vessel and I need a professional skipper for charter with (max. 12 passengers) in outside waters. What are the requirements that I must ask for (licenses, certificates,....)? Thank you in advanced and good sea

alant

Visit site
Hi friends,

I need you for a question. I have a Dutch 22m sailing vessel and I need a professional skipper for charter with (max. 12 passengers) in outside waters. What are the requirements that I must ask for (licenses, certificates,....)? Thank you in advanced and good sea

Depends perhaps how far "outside waters" take you.
The RYA commercial endorsements cover that size vessel, up to 24m, with the provisor of only 12 passengers, as mentioned by Ariadne. An alternative, but usually only 3miles out by 15miles either side of a specified haven, is a Boatmaster Licence.
STCW95 always useful, but not essential depending on circumstances.

Last edited:

Uricanejack

Visit site
Hi friends,

RYA is a british certificate and valid for comercial use only on British Flag vessels. If yours is a Dutch. Your Skipper will require a Dutch STCW 95 as posted by Ariadne. Alternetevly The Netherlands will accept some foregine STCW 95 certificates as equivelent to Dutch and issue a certficate of equivelance. Most of the EEC countries are probabaly acceptable. Along with the Scandahooligans.
British MCA Class 4 and higher as OOW is acceptable on a Dutch Vessel.
Im note sure about endorsment as Master. Im not sure about a class 5.
Best to contact the Dutch equivelent of MCA or department of transport or coast guard agency responsible for issuing certificates and ask.
There may be a provision to accept an RYA comercial endorsment and issue a certficate of equivelence.
Depending upon where you intend to operate chaging flag may be an option.

alant

Visit site
RYA is a british certificate and valid for comercial use only on British Flag vessels. If yours is a Dutch. Your Skipper will require a Dutch STCW 95 as posted by Ariadne. Alternetevly The Netherlands will accept some foregine STCW 95 certificates as equivelent to Dutch and issue a certficate of equivelance. Most of the EEC countries are probabaly acceptable. Along with the Scandahooligans.
British MCA Class 4 and higher as OOW is acceptable on a Dutch Vessel.
Im note sure about endorsment as Master. Im not sure about a class 5.
Best to contact the Dutch equivelent of MCA or department of transport or coast guard agency responsible for issuing certificates and ask.
There may be a provision to accept an RYA comercial endorsment and issue a certficate of equivelence.
Depending upon where you intend to operate chaging flag may be an option.

STCW95, is not a skippering qualification!

Even hairdressers or stewards on merchant ships need one, like all crew on those ships.
Its an International qualification, set by the International Maritime Organisation.

"1995 revisionOn July 7, 1995 the IMO adopted a comprehensive revision of STCW. They also included a proposal to develop a new STCW Code, which would contain the technical details associated with provisions of the Convention. The amendments entered force on February 1, 1997. Full implementation was required by February 1, 2002. Mariners already holding licenses had the option to renew those licenses in accordance with the old rules of the 1978 Convention during the period ending on February 1, 2002. Mariners entering training programs after August 1, 1998 are required to meet the competency standards of the new 1995 Amendments.

The most significant amendments concerned:

a) enhancement of port state control;
b) communication of information to IMO to allow for mutual oversight and consistency in application of standards,
c) quality standards systems (QSS), oversight of training, assessment, and certification procedures,
The Amendments require that seafarers be provided with "familiarization training" and "basic safety training" which includes basic fire fighting, elementary first aid, personal survival techniques, and personal safety and social responsibility. This training is intended to ensure that seafarers are aware of the hazards of working on a vessel and can respond appropriately in an emergency.
d) placement of responsibility on parties, including those issuing licenses, and flag states employing foreign nationals, to ensure seafarers meet objective standards of competence, and
e) rest period requirements for watchkeeping personnel."

Capt Yeyo

Visit site
Thanks for answering,

I talk with Dutch authorities and foreign license needs a dutch Certificate of Equivelence. A small english exam about dutch laws. But it's complicate and expensive to send someone there to pass the exam. they told me that we can't make this exam out of the Netherlands. Finally I will search for a Dutch skipper with the Dutch license.

Best regards