Problems with raymarine instruments

Sailfree

Visit site
Finally getting somewhere with help of Greenham Regis (GR).

History 3 yrs of failure og ST 60. Could work for weeks then fail with just three horizontal dashes. Failures getting progressively more frequent. Always worked when rebooted.

I appreciate difficulties of diagnosing intermittant fault but disappointed that no cure after £350 to replace mast cable.

Climbed mast and took transducer and instrument to GR for testing - both OK. With borrowed cable connected both up on boat and holding transducer in hand it did not work. Changed position of sea talk connection at instrument and it worked OK. Greased seatalk with contralube 550 and it now works in either plug! GR advise that the instruments and connecting cable can be OK but fail due to the daisy chained seatalk cable either bad connection, failure of live feed or high resistance or occasional earthing out of the yellow cable (data). Apparently when instruments get old some problems can be fixed by altering the order of the daisy chain sea talk cable by connecting it to the problem instrument first in line. My ST 60 it was last in line.

Hope this may help others.

WRT RADAR had that checked with GR and OK. By component replacement with borrowed equipment finally traced fault to damaged mast cable with fault hidden beneath extra wraps of insulation tape where it goes through deck gland. Mast was unstepped 1yr ago by Hamble Point Marina. It appears a bit of rough cable pulling caused the problem but of course impossible to prove now. Pleased my own software upgrade was not the cause but like most I always start assuming I had something wrong!

Last edited:

homer

Visit site
There is another thing about the seatalk network (which I eventually got Raymarine to admit) - if you have a couple of instruments on the network that are not powered up, they drag down the data signal so that nothing else (that is powered up) will work.

no3l

Visit site
Hi Sailfree,

Just a quick note to say thanks for the post.
My ST60 had packed up and I was advised to replace the cable. I tried your solution today and it looks like everything is working again.

no3l

Sailfree

Visit site
Hi Sailfree,

Just a quick note to say thanks for the post.
My ST60 had packed up and I was advised to replace the cable. I tried your solution today and it looks like everything is working again.

no3l

Glad my post helped.

I also used contralube 550 electrical grease for connections at masthead. Another thing I learnt on here!

Sailfree

Visit site
What is Contralube 550?

Its a grease that's suitable for electrical connections and prevents corrosion in that it does not insulate say like Vaseline. IIRC I ordered it off e bay.

It is obviously good for the wind transducer connections at the top of the mast but equally good for all exposed electrical connections.

Just tried googling it and only found Contralube 770. I suspect this is the MkII version. Its effectively electrical connection grease whatever its name!

Last edited: