Problem charging from generator

Quiddle

I have a Honda eu10 1 KW genny. It works fine until I connect it to my boats shore power when the genny runs rough, the warning light comes on and the boat batts do not charge. The boat charges OK from the mains. Any ideas what's causing the problem? I have a galvanic isolater.

RichardS

N/A
I have a Honda eu10 1 KW genny. It works fine until I connect it to my boats shore power when the genny runs rough, the warning light comes on and the boat batts do not charge. The boat charges OK from the mains. Any ideas what's causing the problem? I have a galvanic isolater.

Do you have an ammeter on the boat so you can see what current the charger is drawing? Also can you use the immersion heater OK and perhaps see what current that is drawing. If the immersion heater works OK but the battery charger doesn't I suspect that the charger is drawing too much current and you need an EU20.

With my EU20 I can run the battery charger and one immersion heater but it's at its limit. If I turn on the second immersion heater the generator does the same as yours and effectively shuts down.

Richard

sarabande

it's a small genny probably only able to produce about 800W of useful power. Running rough with a light is a symptom of overload. What systems on baord are you running that need a lot of power ?

In the back of my mind there's something about polarity being critical, too. Is the boat mains properly installed ?

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
The 1kW Honda is rated at around 900W and should be OK with a 40A charger (though some might object & not work). I use a 2kW (rated at around 1600W) and that's fine with my 40A charger. However, I always need to check the water heater isn't on as it draws about 1200W and that's too much. Genny runs as you describe if I ever forget and batteries are low. OK if pretty well charged as charger draw is much lower in that case.

I'd agree with others that you should make certain all other AC devices are off initially and just try the charger. It sounds like the most likely cause and simple to test. Trying to use the water heater on it's own will probably also pull max. power from the generator as it may well be around 1200W (I think most Jeanneau's have this size).

Last edited:

VicS

Well start by checking the cable that you use to connect the genny to the shorepower intake and its connections.

( ideally the cable should include a neutral to earth link but its absence will not cause the problems you mention)

Check what load you are attempting to draw... any high loads ( immersion heater for example) on that will overload the generator. Just how big, in terms of output current, is your battery charger?

JerryHawkins

I also have the eu10i genny and when first connected (i.e. batteries low and taking a lot of charge), I have to set the switch on the genny to the 'hare' instead of the 'tortoise' so that it gives full power. As the batteries come up, I can switch it and the genny is then happy to regulate its speed down as required. BTW, I also use a link cable that has neutral and earth joined between the genny and the shore power inlet (without this, my RCD trips).

Quiddle

Thanks all for advice. It's 25A charger but I may have had the immersion on?
Will double check and try again.
Neutral to earth link?is that a wire connecting the N & E pins inside the plug?

William_H

It is possible that the battery charger is overloading the gen on turn on. This especially if the batteries are low. Try charging just one battery initially. If that suits the generator then after some minutes connect the rest of the batteries. Or you could try running the engine for a while to charge the batteries up beyond flat then try the generator. What you may need is to current limit the charger witha resitor so initial charge current is less. good luck olewill

Quiddle

Immersion was on and problem sorted, thanks. I'd assumed excess demand would mean devices would not work properly but genny would be unaffected. Apparently not.