Primitive long term mooring in Liguria

theswissguy_ch

Visit site
Hi There,

We are considering to purchase in the Ligura area a 22m/6m steel trawler this early summer
As we eventually want to move aboard, it will be come our home...one day.

However, we would need to keep the trawler in the area "parked" for some time, min. 12 months. This, in order to make upgrades and maintenance, but also to bring our land-based affairs in order.

So my question is whether there are any low-cost, far-from-civilization, long term mooring areas in the Ligurain coast where we could keep the vessel without it draining our wallet excessively.
Except electric connection we would need not much more. Think "storage".

Any help by someone who has relevant information?

Thanks
Martin

V1701

Visit site
Welcome to the forum Martin, I dunno if it's of any help but if you need shorepower you'd do well to find a yard for less than £1k/month, it's an expensive area. If there are moorings they wouldn't have shore power but you could use a portable generator. Your best bet for finding somewhere to leave her may well be by talking to the seller, they'd probably know better than anyone but I would want something more concrete than someone telling you that it shouldn't be a problem. that's a big lump of boat to have to store somewhere. And converting a trawler to a liveaboard boat is not something to be undertaken lightly, it's a huge project. Maintenance, upkeep and storage whatever form it takes on a boat that size would cost more in both time and money than the equivalent costs for an average house. I don't mean that to sound patronising but if you haven't owned a boat before you should be aware of it. Or you may be a recently retired marine engineer who knows exactly what they're getting into which would make it a very different proposition. Out of interest where would you be planning to be based and are you aware of the changes that are likely to happen after the end of the Brexit transition period, not least of which UK citizens being subject to Schengen visa rules?

Edit - just noticed your username so forget the UK citizens bit...:)

Last edited:

jaba

Visit site
Liguria is a very expensive area.
So, no bargains afaik
You might want to check the La Spezia area, though.
If you live aboard you might possibly be able to anchor for free in the harbour area or between Portovenere & Palmaria island. But in this case no electricity, of course.

theswissguy_ch

Visit site
Welcome to the forum Martin, I dunno if it's of any help but if you need shorepower you'd do well to find a yard for less than £1k/month, it's an expensive area. If there are moorings they wouldn't have shore power but you could use a portable generator. Your best bet for finding somewhere to leave her may well be by talking to the seller, they'd probably know better than anyone but I would want something more concrete than someone telling you that it shouldn't be a problem. that's a big lump of boat to have to store somewhere. And converting a trawler to a liveaboard boat is not something to be undertaken lightly, it's a huge project. Maintenance, upkeep and storage whatever form it takes on a boat that size would cost more in both time and money than the equivalent costs for an average house. I don't mean that to sound patronising but if you haven't owned a boat before you should be aware of it. Or you may be a recently retired marine engineer who knows exactly what they're getting into which would make it a very different proposition. Out of interest where would you be planning to be based and are you aware of the changes that are likely to happen after the end of the Brexit transition period, not least of which UK citizens being subject to Schengen visa rules?

Edit - just noticed your username so forget the UK citizens bit...:)

Dear V1701.
Thanks for your long and detailed message.
Just to let you know that I am not planning to buy a commercial trawler and converting it: It is an existing trawler-yacht, livable with all the amenities and setup for pleasure-travelling or for living. But like any kind of place, on land or on water, that we want to live in, one may have some requirements: add a carpet here, a lamp there, maintenance of the flybridge, Install audio, etc.... I am a very hands-on engineer, so a lot of the minor work can be done by me.
But thanks anyway for the concern.

With regards to the simple place to moore, I was thinking of an industrial area by the water that may have some space to spare.

I did find a spot between Savona and Albenga, but the rate is given as 13-15kEUR for a year.
So the purpose of my inquiry is whether there is any cheaper solution available.

nortada

Visit site
Dear V1701.
Thanks for your long and detailed message.
Just to let you know that I am not planning to buy a commercial trawler and converting it: It is an existing trawler-yacht, livable with all the amenities and setup for pleasure-travelling or for living. But like any kind of place, on land or on water, that we want to live in, one may have some requirements: add a carpet here, a lamp there, maintenance of the flybridge, Install audio, etc.... I am a very hands-on engineer, so a lot of the minor work can be done by me.
But thanks anyway for the concern.

With regards to the simple place to moore, I was thinking of an industrial area by the water that may have some space to spare.

I did find a spot between Savona and Albenga, but the rate is given as 13-15kEUR for a year.
So the purpose of my inquiry is whether there is any cheaper solution available.

Welcome to this forum and wish you well in your adventure.

As the trawler has already been converted fo live on, can you generate your own electrical power and do you have a watermaker❓

theswissguy_ch

Visit site
Welcome to this forum and wish you well in your adventure.

As the trawler has already been converted fo live on, can you generate your own electrical power and do you have a watermaker❓

Yes, it has electric power (2 generators), water-maker, A/C and heating. It is ready to be used.
The reason for "parking" the vessel is partly for upgrades etc, but mostly because we ourselves are not yet ready to make the transition.
So I guess we would not need shore-power for this time. But a place to park it and to go there every now and then to work on, while bringing our affairs in order.

nortada

Visit site
Yes, it has electric power (2 generators), water-maker, A/C and heating. It is ready to be used.
The reason for "parking" the vessel is partly for upgrades etc, but mostly because we ourselves are not yet ready to make the transition.
So I guess we would not need shore-power for this time. But a place to park it and to go there every now and then to work on, while bringing our affairs in order.

Thanks for getting back.

As the world is your oyster, what is the imperative for parking in such an expensive area?

Suspect a bit of research would reveal a cheaper location. No doubt others on here will have lots of suggestions so it may help to say how far you would be prepared to travel.

Best of luck during these interesting times.