Priddy's Progress (2)

tcm

Visit site
Priddy\'s Progress (2)

Intrpeid explorer continues his round the world trip, more details on www.spirit-of-cardiff.com

I am still following this, and still doing my best to be positive.

You may recall that average speed was the problem. Up untill last departure, avge was about 12knots, but they need nearer 20 knots. At 12 knots it'll be another of those "fastest around the worls in a boat that was homemade" or "fastest around the world in a boat painted yellow" which isn't quite as good as "fastest". Average 12knots makes the trip 90 days. 16 knots is the very slowest average to make 70 days, beating cable and wireless by a day or so.

Currently, there on the longest leg, 1250 miles, but doing less than 15 knots, cos they need to do 2litres per mile, so it's getting worse, not better. But I thought they could get 4 tons on board, i.e 4,000 litres allowing 3litres/mile?

So far, not much luck. Driven over over a fish farm in Malta, and today narrowly averting disaster when a gas bottle wasn't screwed on properly and loads of flames all around. Ah well, it can happen to the best of us. Er well, no it can't, but ahem.

For those with gas on board, isn't the gas bottle the most important thing to screw on carefully and tightly? Several on is BB have studiously avoided having gas for safety reasons, and might be even keener to avopid gas for an ocean voyage with loads of fuel all around. I think they must have a generator (cos they had a microwave, but it's busted) so why not have all lecky cooking and no gas with all that fuel? Or, since weight is important, perhaps have a calorifier set dead hot, and have warmyup lightweight food - it's only for 60 days. Alright 90 days.

Obviously weight is indeed important. The blimmin microwave seemed a bit superfluous - how much piping hot hot food do you actually need when ploughing around the equator? And for the last 250 miles, they're short of 250 litres - only 50 gallons. No sign of spare jerrycans but they do have pillows. Wonder what else they have got.

I am now worried about the picture of their new cooking arrangements which show the gas ring sitting close to a rubberised floor, and up against something else. Won't the heat reflect back down from the pan - or be deflected sideways on to that bulkhead? I hope that this was just somewhere to take a picture, but maybe we'll see....

wakeup

Visit site
Re: Priddy\'s Progress (2)

I think there is a real danger of SOC only winning the fastest time around the world from Cardiff to Cardiff record, which was probably previously held by a coal ship.

It seems to me that they might have got their calculations wrong believing too much in the boats capability on paper even though I know they have made several trial trips including Cardiff to New York and back which isn't you're average sea trial..

On paper my boat will cruise at 30knots and has a top speed of 45 knots. In reality the sea conditions very rarely allow me to cruise at 30knots and even more rarely can I drive it WOT.

I really want to see these guys suceed but I am beginning to doubt the feasability of the whole venture?

tcm

Visit site

with more stops, they do need to whip in and out of these ports very quickly. Not sure if cardiff-cardiff record is "recognised" internationally - its gib-gib and thru both canals, as I understand. Hopefully they cabn burn along the shorter legs.

wakeup

Visit site

That's just my point. Doesn't look like they are gonna make the Gib to Gib record, Cardiff to Cardiff won't be recognised internationally, only in Cardiff.

It would be a really pity for them only to end up with such a record.

May be they could win most incidents in a circumnavigation trip.

Based upon the incident rate so far they are unfortunately probably due another 10 incidents.

tcm

Visit site

i hope that incidents wil not including anything truly nasty in Asia re pirates.

So, perhaps they can expect

a water inboat and soggy bedding incident,
a fuel pump related incident,
an officious-customs related incident,
a broken computer/phone and no news for a week incident,
an outdrive/prop related incident
a crew being ill/can't stand it incident
a lack of fuel incident
a near-pirate experience
a nightime ship/lights related incident
another food/drinking water related incident

makes 10