Preparing rice

Visit site
Good evening everyone

How do you all go about washing your rice before cooking it when fresh water is in limited supply?

I’ve done a couple of searches but haven’t found anything other using sea water and that’s not an idea for me as i’m cruising around the North Sea this summer and water’s dubious enough for swimming let alone food prep.

Thanks for your advise.

Nick

Pasarell

Visit site
Well my wife is Chinese and rice preparation and cooking is a religion. Just checked and washing is essential and has to be done in fresh water. I guess in the North Sea you have the advantage of plenty of rain to top up the supplies. Advice from here is bite the bullet and use the water.

Lon nan Gruagach

Visit site
All depends on the rice...
The purpose of washing is to remove milled rice flour, which would make it stodgy. if there is little or no flour (thanks to the milling and shipping/ storing) then there is no need to wash.
Once you have decided to wash then be sure that you dont abrade the grains, causing more flour.
Virtually any water quality shouldnt be a problem since the cooking will be at least 10 minutes, nearer 20 to 30 or even 40 minutes at 100oC, enough to kill anything that cant jump up and bite you anyway.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
On the boat, remove rice from packet. Weight out portion size, bring water to the boil, add rice in salted water (salt water is too salty - I have tried), bring to the boil, turn off heat, add lid and leave for 20 mins, strain and serve. Simples.

Uncle Ben rice can be used.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I use Sainsbury's basmati, white or brown... pan of boing water, bung it in straight from the packet... W 10 minutes, B 20 minutes, no washing or any other buggering about eg measuring water or stirring or whatever. Works perfectly. If you want sticky Thai rice I've no idea.

lenten

Visit site
30 + years ago rice needed washing -----no more its cleaner now-----basmati rice-----2 measures water 1 rice---bring to the boil----simmer for a minute or 2 ----put lid on----take off heat--- wait 20 mins-------beware following op 20-40 minutes cooking times-----think that would end up as mush

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
We usually use Basmati rice and it gets a soak and quick rinse. Then in the pan covered with cold water plus 1/2” on top. Bring to the book and immediately reduce to the slowest simmer you can manage and seal the top of the pan (foil or a very close fitting lid with no holes or both) TWELVE MINUTES and it should have cooked through and absorbed all the water. If it hasn’t then put the lid etc back on and give it another minute.

I was taught this way by a Chinese chef except he used his thumbnail to measure the extra amount of water over the rice...
It works for me and is reasonably foolproof.

GHA

Visit site
Don't bother washing but usually use brown rice. Tastier (imho) and healthier. Couldn't be easier, splash of oil in a small pressure cooker, cup of rice, about cup and quarter water, let it hiss forn 10 minutes and cool so pressure drops. Open and eat, perfect every time. :cool: White rice just needs a couple of minutes.

Old Harry

Visit site
Good evening everyone

How do you all go about washing your rice before cooking it when fresh water is in limited supply?

I’ve done a couple of searches but haven’t found anything other using sea water and that’s not an idea for me as i’m cruising around the North Sea this summer and water’s dubious enough for swimming let alone food prep.

Thanks for your advise.

Nick
= quants of rice & cold water,place lid on pan bring to the boil DO NOT REMOVE LID TO LOOK, turn off heat & leave in the ring. After exactly 20 mins remove lid fluff-up with a fork & serve, 100% results every time

BigJoe

Visit site
Never wash rice, it takes on the water and becomes soggy

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and add the rice stir well to seal to seal the rice while you boil a kettle of water. Cover the rice in boiling water, reduce the heat and put on the lid, do nothing for 15 minutes, then fluff with a fork and serve. simples

guernseyman

Visit site
Remember you will eat the rice after it is cooked. If you are using chopsticks a certain amount of stickyness is good.
The last time I was in London's Chinatown, the rice was definitely sticky.

scotty123

Visit site
On the boat, remove rice from packet. Weight out portion size, bring water to the boil, add rice in salted water (salt water is too salty - I have tried), bring to the boil, turn off heat, add lid and leave for 20 mins, strain and serve. Simples.

Uncle Ben rice can be used.

Boil in a bag is easier.

Visit site
Opened a can of worms here.

The cooking of the rice isn’t the problem, it was just the washing of the rice prior to cooking to get rid of the starch. A couple of ideas that I can take from your input so thanks your replies.

Zing

Visit site
I think it depends a lot on the rice. I cooked some expensive sushi rice yesterday and washed it and it was perfect, just a little sticky. Good Basmati rice needs no washing. Quality American long grain also. Really cheap rice is a sticky mess no matter what you do to it.