Preparing for 1st Channel crossing... Yacht registration...

Captain Crisp

Visit site
Hi - I've Just emailed off my details for re-registration...
Do I have to have the SSR number visible on the boat somewhere?
Or is it enough just to have the registration card?
Thanks
Crisp

stranded

Visit site
All leisure boats in France must display registration. number
Even visiting foreign boats? We are Part 1 but don’t display the number on the hull and not been picked up (yet). Haven’t specifically looked at other Brit boats but never noticed them displaying Part 1 reg no either - and think I would.

Poignard

Visit site
Even visiting foreign boats? We are Part 1 but don’t display the number on the hull and not been picked up (yet). Haven’t specifically looked at other Brit boats but never noticed them displaying Part 1 reg no either - and think I would.
I believe if you are Part 1 registered, as my boat was, you are expected to show the UK port of registry.

PlanB

Visit site
Part 1 registry requires to display name of boat and port of registry on stern.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I believe if you are Part 1 registered, as my boat was, you are expected to show the UK port of registry.
And your registration number must be attached to a main beam or bulkhead permanently. By tradition, it should be carved on the main beam, but as most boats don't HAVE a main beam something like an engraved plate affixed to a structural bulkhead with security screws is likely. On my Dad's boat, it was on a wooden panel attached by screws with the slot drilled out, but security screws weren't a thing back then!

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
It is also a requirement of the SSR to display the number in a prescribed way and using a prescribed format. Template and guidance should have come with your certificate.

One of my previous boats was on the SSR register but didn't have the numbers displayed. (I can't remember now if it had never been abroad at that point, or I'd removed the previous vinyl numbers transfer for some reason.)

As we'd decided to head to France at short notice, I bought some separate stick-on letters for the job from a local hardware shop. I then completely promptly forgot about it until we were approaching the French coast near Roscoff, and well within the 12 mile limit. As we closed the coast, rolling and bumping along in my little boat, I leant over from the cockpit and applied the individual numbers - upside down from my point of view - on the outside of the cockpit coaming.

Only when we disembarked could we see quite how poorly aligned and spaced they were :LOL: , but it was enough to satisfy the relevant authorities.

LittleSister

Visit site

i seem to recall a post on here some time ago, where the authorities in a Belgian port had pulled the poster up because he didn't have the port of registry shown on the stern, instead this was a legal requirement (at least in Belgium) and threatened a fine or worse if he didn't correct the situation promptly, so he ended up writing it temporarily on the transom with a magic marker or some such. (As far as I am aware that this isn't a requirement in the UK unless you are Part 1 registered.)

To avoid running into such problems abroad, and because it's quite nice anyway, I decided to add a 'port of registry' to the transom of my SSR registered boat. As the SSR doesn't register the boat to a particular port (correct me if I'm wrong), I felt able to pick the port of my choice from the official list of UK ports of registration (easily found online).

I mused as to whether to pick the nearest one to the boat's current (but not necessarily long-term) mooring; one with the least letters in the name (to reduce transfer costs and ease spelling over VHF if ever needed); one that would be very familiar to foreign officials; the most unlikely one (least known and/or most geographically remote); or the one with the most mellifluous or exotic sounding name. I went with 'Exeter', as being simple and not too long; a bit unusual (no longer a busy commercial/fishing port and neither a major leisure boating centre); it was where the boat was first launched (though built elsewhere); and I had formerly lived in that city and felt warmly towards the place. One has to take one's pleasures where one finds them!

Alicatt

Visit site
i seem to recall a post on here some time ago, where the authorities in a Belgian port had pulled the poster up because he didn't have the port of registry shown on the stern, instead this was a legal requirement (at least in Belgium) and threatened a fine or worse if he didn't correct the situation promptly, so he ended up writing it temporarily on the transom with a magic marker or some such. (As far as I am aware that this isn't a requirement in the UK unless you are Part 1 registered.)

To avoid running into such problems abroad, and because it's quite nice anyway, I decided to add a 'port of registry' to the transom of my SSR registered boat. As the SSR doesn't register the boat to a particular port (correct me if I'm wrong), I felt able to pick the port of my choice from the official list of UK ports of registration (easily found online).

I mused as to whether to pick the nearest one to the boat's current (but not necessarily long-term) mooring; one with the least letters in the name (to reduce transfer costs and ease spelling over VHF if ever needed); one that would be very familiar to foreign officials; the most unlikely one (least known and/or most geographically remote); or the one with the most mellifluous or exotic sounding name. I went with 'Exeter', as being simple and not too long; a bit unusual (no longer a busy commercial/fishing port and neither a major leisure boating centre); it was where the boat was first launched (though built elsewhere); and I had formerly lived in that city and felt warmly towards the place. One has to take one's pleasures where one finds them!
Yes it is a requirement in Belgium, the home port of registry must be on the stern in letters of at least 10cm in height, the registration letter and number should be on the bow or on the side of the boat if you can't fit it on the bow and again the letters must be at leas 10cm in height, if it is a speed boat then the letters must be even larger but can't remember the size off hand.

Refueler

Visit site

You of course have the Pt 1 number carved into the boat - usually in cabin on a beam or similar. Plus of course Port of Registry on stern.

SSR is a sticky label usually on the aft 1/4 at a required font and size.

LittleSister

Visit site
Yes it is a requirement in Belgium, the home port of registry must be on the stern in letters of at least 10cm in height, the registration letter and number should be on the bow or on the side of the boat if you can't fit it on the bow and again the letters must be at leas 10cm in height, if it is a speed boat then the letters must be even larger but can't remember the size off hand.

But does anyone know whether it is actually a legal requirement (as opposed to harbour officials' informal understanding) for all vessels, including visiting ones, or only those registered in Belgium? (Not that one wants to have a legal debate/battle with harbour officials.)

Aside from the port of registry requirements, the size and positioning of the registration numbers and letters are in direct contradiction to the SSR requirements (if I remember them correctly). I imagine few, if any, visiting UK vessels will properly comply (which would require two sets of registration numbers, etc., for SSR vessels, and Part 1 registered vessels to display their numbers externally), and a blind eye is seemingly routinely turned to this aspect.

stranded

Visit site
You of course have the Pt 1 number carved into the boat - usually in cabin on a beam or similar. Plus of course Port of Registry on stern.

SSR is a sticky label usually on the aft 1/4 at a required font and size.
If it is carved somewhere it is very discreet…

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
But does anyone know whether it is actually a legal requirement (as opposed to harbour officials' informal understanding) for all vessels, including visiting ones, or only those registered in Belgium? (Not that one wants to have a legal debate/battle with harbour officials.)

Aside from the port of registry requirements, the size and positioning of the registration numbers and letters are in direct contradiction to the SSR requirements (if I remember them correctly). I imagine few, if any, visiting UK vessels will properly comply (which would require two sets of registration numbers, etc., for SSR vessels, and Part 1 registered vessels to display their numbers externally), and a blind eye is seemingly routinely turned to this aspect.
The registration requirement comes from the state of registration not some port you happen to be visiting.

Chris CJ

Visit site
Just renewed our SSR registration , uploading documents very straight forward , just waiting a couple of days for confirmation of approval , then payment , all very efficient, renewed from when the current expired in November.
The system works , please don’t tinker with it.