Poxy Centaur

Tranona

Visit site
2GM20 is now "old style" Yanmar - same basic engine as 1GM, and there was a 3 cylinder version as well. Sea water cooled and a bit noisy and unrefined by today's standards, but thousands of them around and plodding away. Looks well installed from the photo.

Best thing about the installation for your purposes is that it has a rope cutter, even if it is the less effective type!

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/sailboat/westerly-centaur-26/75279

the pox does not bother me

can anyone cast any light on the engine installation - any pointers?

D

What do you expect people to say about the engine that s not in the spec but can be deduced from a single tiny picture?

20HP generous for the size of boat

Yanmar ,,, one of the best. Better than the VP lump it probably replaced anyway

Raw water cooled I think. indiect cooling would be better. IMHO

Major overhaul in 2009 ......... what work is claimed to have been done and by whom.

Are there invoices to support what is claimed .

New mast by the look of it... presumably all new rigging too.

properly upgraded gas system ... thats good the original would have been far from current standards.

would like to know about the electrics.

I could easily afford the price........ Walton on naze not too far away ..............hmmmmm.
No doing anything next week

Last edited:

Topcat47

Visit site
The 2GM20 can be either raw or FW cooled. This one looks to be raw water cooled. I'm concerned that it needed a "major" overhaul in 2009. Ask what was done. I would expect a top end overhaul ( touch in valves, reset tappets, refurbish injectors and injector pumps) in this interval. I'd not expect any work needed on the bottom end or a re-bore (my definition of a Major Overhaul). Salt water ingress could result in the need to new cylinder head's though and I always thought these engines came with different mixing elbows to the 1GM10s which are renowned for causing problems if neglected. Check ALL the engine mountings. Yanmar Mountings are frighteningly expensive and if one has gone, they'll all need replaced (especially of you chose another manufacturer).

The prop looks particularly scabby for such a recent replacement. is there a problem with the anode?

The boat appears to have a lot spent on it relatively recently and it's being up for sale at such a low price suggest more problems have arisen, although it may be for sale due to age, infirmity or even death of the previous owner.

The boat's supposed to have been epoxied once. There shouldn't be much in the way of boat pox, just "grind" it out and replace the epoxy coating.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
The 2GM20 can be either raw or FW cooled. This one looks to be raw water cooled. I'm concerned that it needed a "major" overhaul in 2009. Ask what was done. I would expect a top end overhaul ( touch in valves, reset tappets, refurbish injectors and injector pumps) in this interval. I'd not expect any work needed on the bottom end or a re-bore (my definition of a Major Overhaul). Salt water ingress could result in the need to new cylinder head's though and I always thought these engines came with different mixing elbows to the 1GM10s which are renowned for causing problems if neglected. Check ALL the engine mountings. Yanmar Mountings are frighteningly expensive and if one has gone, they'll all need replaced (especially of you chose another manufacturer).

The prop looks particularly scabby for such a recent replacement. is there a problem with the anode?

The boat appears to have a lot spent on it relatively recently and it's being up for sale at such a low price suggest more problems have arisen, although it may be for sale due to age, infirmity or even death of the previous owner.

The boat's supposed to have been epoxied once. There shouldn't be much in the way of boat pox, just "grind" it out and replace the epoxy coating.

Thanks TC

very useful

great assessment

wonder if they would accept 3K

D

dylanwinter

What do you expect people to say about the engine that s not in the spec but can be deduced from a single tiny picture?

20HP generous for the size of boat

Yanmar ,,, one of the best. Better than the VP lump it probably replaced anyway

Raw water cooled I think. indiect cooling would be better. IMHO

Major overhaul in 2009 ......... what work is claimed to have been done and by whom.

Are there invoices to support what is claimed .

New mast by the look of it... presumably all new rigging too.

properly upgraded gas system ... thats good the original would have been far from current standards.

would like to know about the electrics.

I could easily afford the price........ Walton on naze not too far away ..............hmmmmm.
No doing anything next week

thanks Vic

useful pointers

interloper

Visit site
Here is one that is a bit more of challenge, especially given that it is on the other side of the Atlantic.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/5206911453.html

1973 Westerley Twin Keel Sailboat 26' - $1000 (gloucester)

00202_5Zp3iaUUmJk_600x450.jpg

Sailboat has sat and been neglected for a couple of years, would be a great 'first sailboat project' for someone. Firstly, no motor or trans. inside the boat, only a 6 hp evinrude and it has set, will need cleaning. Boat interior is intact and sleeps 4, complete with a portapotty. Also included is a 5k window unit that has it's own companionway door cut out for it. Exterior has all 3 of its sails, the mainsail, a 150 gennaker & the trysail. Owner says there may be an extra sail in his house and will check upon returning in 2 weeks. I helped paint this boat myself and have sailed on it 3 or 4 times. Very solid boat. 2'8" draft. Mast will fit under the piankatank bridge. Will need some thorough cleaning to bring back to life, at this entry price, you'll have plenty of $$ left for cleaner !!! Boat is sitting in Dancers Creek and is still double tied & anchored on all sides. First $1000 gets it, clear title. Title available in 2 weeks via boat owner. Cross posted - no pics of interior as the dock has fallen, will deal with showing boat when owner comes into town = 2 weeks.

dylanwinter

Here is one that is a bit more of challenge, especially given that it is on the other side of the Atlantic.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/5206911453.html

1973 Westerley Twin Keel Sailboat 26' - $1000 (gloucester)

View attachment 53407

Sailboat has sat and been neglected for a couple of years, would be a great 'first sailboat project' for someone. Firstly, no motor or trans. inside the boat, only a 6 hp evinrude and it has set, will need cleaning. Boat interior is intact and sleeps 4, complete with a portapotty. Also included is a 5k window unit that has it's own companionway door cut out for it. Exterior has all 3 of its sails, the mainsail, a 150 gennaker & the trysail. Owner says there may be an extra sail in his house and will check upon returning in 2 weeks. I helped paint this boat myself and have sailed on it 3 or 4 times. Very solid boat. 2'8" draft. Mast will fit under the piankatank bridge. Will need some thorough cleaning to bring back to life, at this entry price, you'll have plenty of $$ left for cleaner !!! Boat is sitting in Dancers Creek and is still double tied & anchored on all sides. First $1000 gets it, clear title. Title available in 2 weeks via boat owner. Cross posted - no pics of interior as the dock has fallen, will deal with showing boat when owner comes into town = 2 weeks.

I shall have to revise my estimate of the number for sale at the moment

D

Topcat47

Visit site
that is an ever present concern

thjere is little doubt that the older the engine the bigger the chance of a major problem

this one is 25 years old down in gambling territory

D

My Morris minor engine is nearly 50 years old and still going strong after around 180,00 miles. Age is no barrier. This engine is still in production and fully supported. When I removed my old Volvo from Snark, it was solely because may of the "consumables" were unobtainable and I needed to do a top end overhaul. Specifically I need an exhaust manifold and a water injection elbow, neither of which were available and I had no contacts who could fabricate replacements. Gaskets were also in short supply and I wasn't prepared to do the work on an engine I possibly couldn't keep going.

Yanmar spares can be eye-waveringly expensive (£630 + VAT for an alternator for example) but they are available and worldwide at that. You might be able to keep a Petter twin going in the UK, but try it in the Bahamas or Maldives.

dylanwinter

My Morris minor engine is nearly 50 years old and still going strong after around 180,00 miles. Age is no barrier. This engine is still in production and fully supported. When I removed my old Volvo from Snark, it was solely because may of the "consumables" were unobtainable and I needed to do a top end overhaul. Specifically I need an exhaust manifold and a water injection elbow, neither of which were available and I had no contacts who could fabricate replacements. Gaskets were also in short supply and I wasn't prepared to do the work on an engine I possibly couldn't keep going.

Yanmar spares can be eye-waveringly expensive (£630 + VAT for an alternator for example) but they are available and worldwide at that. You might be able to keep a Petter twin going in the UK, but try it in the Bahamas or Maldives.

of course your Morris Minor has not had salt water coursing through its veins

D