POWER TOOLS ETC IN EUROPE

G

before i load my yacht down with messrs Black & Decker's finest products can anuy body out ther tell me if 240 volt power tools purchased in the UK work in Spain and France?If so does this apply to all other domestic appliances tv etc?

HenryB

www.ballgate.com
You will have no problems with 240V devices, except for TV in France which uses a different system for its transmissions (not sure about Spain).

220/240 volts seems to be the standard throughout the EC and Turkey.

All the best,

G

All of europe is on 220v so there is no problem with UK tools. YOu will end up with a box of plugs for each country has it's own system and there seem to be as many different marina plugs as there are marinas. you need a couple of short ends so that you just change to the local plug and have a UK socket on the other end for the tools

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
No problems with power tools in Europe (220/240) as already noted here, plug connections are a hassel.
But have you thought about decent rechargable tools.... yes I realise you will still have to plug in to recharge batteries.... But with decent 24 volt tools from Dewalt, Hitachi etc ( NOT B&D ) you will at least get all the power you require and not have that many probs with the local elec. supply.

poter.

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
Re 24 volt tools

No No, the 24 volt are most definitely the best non-mains kit. Whatever power tools you get you will still require to connect to mains power.. Either to charge them or to run!
I was suggesting the 24-volt kit as being the best of the cordless type.
Even the 12-volt cordless needs to be connected to the mains to charge.
and is not man enough to do any heavy work on a boat.

Go for the best kit your budget can afford. Try and get professional kit not DIY, it will pay dividends, especially for that emergency job.
Check out someone like screwfix good prices and service.

www.screwfix.com

poter.

Robin2

Visit site
Re: Re 24 volt tools

The reason for choosing 12v tools (or at least the same voltage as the battery system on your boat) is that you could wire the tool directly to the boat battery and not use its own rechargeable battery at all.