POWDER FIRE EXSTINGUISHERS

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Further to the postings on Engine room fire extiguishers:

Apparently these are leave one hell of a mess on an engine fire. They work by congealing the powder around anything that is hot which will include the alternator etc etc, getting into areas you cannot clean, so quite clearly this is not a good idea if there are other method available.

For cabin fires they would seem ok, eher they don't congeal they brush off OK. I have not thank god ever had to let off one of them yet, so I 've no real idea of the mess!

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Yes, they do. I had an engine fire in an Alfa Romeo I owned years ago. I used a powder extinguisher on it and never got the white marks off the block.

By far the biggest problem with powder extinguishers on metals is that they do not prevent reignition. If the metal is hot and the fuel is present, the fire will reignite.

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
I have also heard that viabration tends to cause the powder to solidify into a useless lump. I know that I give my general purpose extinguishers a good shake now and again to make sure this has not happened but the viabration is worse in the engine compartment

Chris Stannard

johna

Visit site
Re powder extinguishers should they be stored vertically or horizontal? I have in the back of my mind that I have read somewhere that storing horizontal helps stop clogging.

ccscott49

Visit site
Storing horizontal does help, but a good shake every couple of months or so does the job. I do them when I change my oils, or when I remember.

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
Alternatives

Having read all of the above and the other postings, what's the answer. I was about to refit my automatic power to my engine room having changed from petrol to diesel.

The other question is where do you point it, at the electrics, the fuel pump or at the top of the engine.

If you are going to get a fire - where is the most likley point of ignitioin?

Any words of wisdom ?

Cheers

Peter

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Alternatives

There is another system, used on racing cars, i's a foam spray type sytem, I'm not sure if it's good or not. My ektigiushers are directly over the centre of my engines.