Posting Life Jackets in UK

Heckler

Visit site
Further to my post about getting two lifejkts home by Ryanair from Portugal, I now need to post them to my mates. However, I am getting confused messages from Royal Mail and Interparcel about them being prohibited! Can any one come up with exactly who will accept them please?

D

Deleted member 36384

I have received lifejackets with inflation cylinders from Hermes, purchased from a private sale. I have no idea if the seller notified Hermes what was in the package in detail.

MikeCC

www.allGadgets.co.uk
I can confirm that Royal Mail will likely dispose of any package with the CO2 cylinders in, detached or not.

Don't think I've seen a consumer carrier T&Cs that doesn't prohibit them.

How far do they have to go?

Heckler

Visit site
I can confirm that Royal Mail will likely dispose of any package with the CO2 cylinders in, detached or not.

Don't think I've seen a consumer carrier T&Cs that doesn't prohibit them.

How far do they have to go?

Llangollen to near Crawley

langstonelayabout

Visit site

I'm sure when the OP said 'detach' the cylinder, they meant detach and remove it, not just detach it.

The person receiving the life jacket can use this opportunity to get themselves a new canister with today's date on it.

ctva

Visit site
I'm sure when the OP said 'detach' the cylinder, they meant detach and remove it, not just detach it.

The person receiving the life jacket can use this opportunity to get themselves a new canister with today's date on it.

CO2 cylinders are not dates, just weighed and stamped so you can check them. The firing mechanism, if automatic, is dated.

I'd just send without the cylinder, they are relatively cheap and it's always good to have spares.

prv

Visit site
So when we buy a lifejacket, or indeed simply rearming kit, from an online chandlers, how do they send it? All seem to offer delivery on them.

Indeed - I normally only need new inflators at service time, but this year I needed a CO2 cartridge as well. I refrained from posting earlier as I'm not certain how it was sent, but it was put through my letterbox rather than signed for and I'm maybe 75% sure it had Royal Mail postage on the packet.

Personally I'd happily post a lifejacket to a mate, with the cartridge unscrewed but wrapped in a layer of bubble-wrap or something and packed inside the parcel.

Pete

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Further to my post about getting two lifejkts home by Ryanair from Portugal, I now need to post them to my mates. However, I am getting confused messages from Royal Mail and Interparcel about them being prohibited! Can any one come up with exactly who will accept them please?

Anyone will take them if you just describe the contents as safety equipment. I would unscrew the gas cartridges though.

Heckler

Visit site
Anyone will take them if you just describe the contents as safety equipment. I would unscrew the gas cartridges though.
Just had this from dhl
Stuart,

Thank you for contacting DHL Express.

I have contacted our restricted commodities team who have advised we will be able to ship this for you, however once generating the paperwork, we require a specific description to be stated;

If the shipment is going via AIR FRIEGHT you would need to state "Not Restricted As Per PI955".

if the shipment if going via ROAD FRIEGHT you would need to state "Not Restricted As Per SP296".

Kind Regards,

Arizoo
Customer Service Advisor

DHL International (UK) Ltd
Customer Service
EMA Cargo West
East Midlands Airport
Castle Donington
Derbyshire
DE74 2TR

Tel: 0844 248 0844
Email: ukcustomer.focus@dhl.com

dunedin

Visit site

So if I received a lifejackets without the canister, the first thing I would do would be go online to buy a canister which would then be posted out to me.
In fact most of my lifejackets were bought online - and interestingly despatched fully armed

Baddox

Visit site
When I shipped some (possibly the ones BoB referred to) by Royal Mail, they asked what was in the parcel. I told them and they simply recorded “jackets” on whatever paperwork they had.

[3889]

Visit site
I regularly buy CO2 cycle puncture cylinders online and none of the major bike shops seem to have an issue posting them out.

lpdsn

Visit site
I ordered a new lifejacket from Germany. It was accompanied by a litre of highly-inflammable diesel bug killer (seemed cost effective to stock up for , hopefully, many years). No problem at all flying over the UK.

You can put your hard hats away as according to the tracker it landed safely in Dublin yesterday evening. :)

Heckler

Visit site
I ordered a new lifejacket from Germany. It was accompanied by a litre of highly-inflammable diesel bug killer (seemed cost effective to stock up for , hopefully, many years). No problem at all flying over the UK.

You can put your hard hats away as according to the tracker it landed safely in Dublin yesterday evening. :)
I think its to do with ignorance of whats in it by the carrier. We have a particularly obnoxious Post Office young worker here who takes great pleasure in saying no. DHL have finally come up with a YES. The important words to put on the parcel are Not Restricted as Per SP296

Birdseye

Visit site

Dont ask daft questions. Just put them in a parcel and post it. If they ask, tell a lie. Its only jobsworth H&S anyway.