Post Brexit sending goods to Greece

rjmcl

Visit site
I have a yacht kept in Greece. I frequently send spares and equipment out to Greece, since lots of yachtie stuff is significantly cheaper in UK. Wondering what happens next year. Will there be import duties / VAT imposed on stuff I send (or hand carry) ? Hoping not as assume vat will still be paid in UK. Or will I be able to buy stuff vat free for export to EU?
Sorry if this is stupid question, and everyone else knows answer.
Regards
Richard

andrewAB

Visit site
I am in same situation and wishing some deal on goods will be done in the next few weeks.

Otherwise have a boxfull to send and arrive before 1-Jan-21 to avoid delays and cost and more delays if Greek customs.

Forty_Two

Visit site
I do the same to France.

Hopefully no import duties but I think its certain that Vat will due as UK Vat & Eu Vat will no longer have a link.

Good luck with not paying Uk Vat, I suspect we will pay twice.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I do the same to France.

Hopefully no import duties but I think its certain that Vat will due as UK Vat & Eu Vat will no longer have a link.

Good luck with not paying Uk Vat, I suspect we will pay twice.
I think you could be right about paying vat twice.
Yes agree some stuff you can buy cheaper in the UK but when you add on the carriage that some want to charge there not much in it .
SVB is well worth looking into .

Tony Cross

Visit site
I have a yacht kept in Greece. I frequently send spares and equipment out to Greece, since lots of yachtie stuff is significantly cheaper in UK. Wondering what happens next year. Will there be import duties / VAT imposed on stuff I send (or hand carry) ? Hoping not as assume vat will still be paid in UK. Or will I be able to buy stuff vat free for export to EU?
Sorry if this is stupid question, and everyone else knows answer.
Regards
Richard
I can confirm that if you send anything into Greece from outside the EU via a courier company the partnered Greek courier company will hold on to the package. They then contact the recipient and demand not just VAT but handling and storage charges as well - these can be high, sometimes more than the item is worth!

Never ever courier anything into Greece from outside the EU. The regular postal service seems not to suffer from this problem, so when I have stuff sent from the USA for example, I always ask for it to be sent via USPS. Of course, you don't get the same security or level of service via the normal postal service. It can be slow in Greece too.

Stuff you carry will have to be declared at customs as normal since you'll be coming from a third country - unless the final trade deal says something else of course.

An alternative will be to find suppliers in the EU to order your parts from. SVB (in Germany) are pretty good.