Portugal Living Aboard

D-Ru

Visit site
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for anyone who has or is living aboard in Portugal.

Are there marinas that accommodate liveaboards (~13m Catamarans)? What are the average costs associating with living aboard in Portugal?

We are thinking of moving either in the Lisbon area or somewhere in the Algarve.

Thank you!

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Lots of liveaboards using marinas in Portugal, with the exception of Cascais west coast marinas are far cheaper than Algarve but I'm told all are cheaper than UK south coast. Algarve is a much better sailing area than Lisbon (also far better winter weather) and many marina dwellers take a 9 months contract and go sailing or anchoring for the other three, lots of anchorages and nice places to see between there and Gib. Cost of living far cheaper than UK.

nortada

Visit site
Cost of living in the Algarve

You might find this useful.

As suggested in this link, the more specific your question the better answer you will get.

So far as I am aware, all 5 marinas in The Algarve can/will accept liveaboards on 13m cats but be aware that this coming winter (20/1), The Algarve could become a popular destination so spaced could be at a premium.

Last edited:

neil1967

Visit site
Our yacht is in Cascais, 25km to the W of Lisbon. It is a very good marina, but with prices to match - a five year lease for a Cat Va berth (12-15m) is around 25,000 Euro (+VAT if direct from the marina, not if a private sale), with service charges of around 1000 Euro per annum. Dependent on the beam, you might need two berths. There are big cats and super yachts here, and there are liveaboards, although we live ashore. You will not get a berth to fit a 13m cat in any of the other marinas on the North side of the Tagus, with the possible exception of Parque das Nacoes, on the east side of Lisbon - it is a little cheaper than Cascais, and had availability last year, but I know it has a lock entrance and I am unsure of the maximum beam.

D-Ru

Visit site
Thank you for all the replies! We're just testing the waters to see if Portugal is even possible to live in a marina. The next question I guess would be if Portugal even allows you to have residency on a boat or would you require an apartment/house on land. Anyone know?

Thanks again for the replies - great forum.

nortada

Visit site
Thank you for all the replies! We're just testing the waters to see if Portugal is even possible to live in a marina. The next question I guess would be if Portugal even allows you to have residency on a boat or would you require an apartment/house on land. Anyone know?

Thanks again for the replies - great forum.

If you are a citizen of the EU and you come to Lagos and get a marina berth, before the end of the Transition Period (TP), you will be able to register for 5 years temporary residency - cost €15 per person.

Not sure if this will still apply after the end of the TP.

Where are you now❓

Last edited:

D-Ru

Visit site
If you are a citizen of the EU and you come to Lagos and get a marina berth, before the end of the Transition Period (TP), you will be able to register for 5 years temporary residency - cost €15 per person.

Not sure if this will still apply after the end of the TP.

Where are you now❓

We are in the US currently but I hold an EU passport (Poland). What is a temporary residency? If we decided to move to Portugal, I believe we would need to attain permanent residency to use the healthcare and other benefits.

nortada

Visit site
We are in the US currently but I hold an EU passport (Poland). What is a temporary residency? If we decided to move to Portugal, I believe we would need to attain permanent residency to use the healthcare and other benefits.

Temporary (5 year) residency is the first step to permanent (10 years) residency.

See you have a Polish passport so this should mean that Brexit would have little impact on you. Nevertheless, this link might prove useful and answer most of your questions:-

How To Become A Portuguese Resident & Keep Your British Passport - All You Need To Know About Registering & Residency.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Any EU citizen has the right to reside in any State and, being Polish, you presumably have an EHIC card for reciprocal health care. UK citizens won't be EU citizens once we leave, hence the need for us to obtain residence while we are or, be limited to 90 days out of 180 in Schengen. After we leave EU, unless a deal is done (which seems unlikely) we will most likely be treated the same as anyone else from outside the EU applying for residence.

If you move to Portugal on a boat, the marina contract is sufficient for you to apply for residence which initially is for 5 years. When that expires, permanent residence can be applied for but, I'm not sure if a "proper" address is needed or whether the marina one will still be OK. As far as I know, the 5 year residence gives free access into the health system.