? Portugal And The Covid Vaccines ?

nortada

Visit site
Coronavirus jab from Pfizer/ BioNTech approved for roll out in days

Hourly, from the U.K.we hear about the vaccines’ progress, plans priorities and timescales for roll out, the county’s attitude to vaccination etc.

Here in Portugal, I have heard nothing, save that a high percentage the population are very pro-vaccination.

No idea, how much, if any, vaccine Portugal has ordered, plans for roll out, priority for who will get, perceived time scales and the posture the country will take toward visitors.

For it to be effective mass vaccination is crucial. In a recent article, I read that, in addition to 50,000 registered expats, there could be up to another 100,000 (many of whom never spend 90 days in 180 Portugal), unregistered EU citizens, temporary residents or people living under the radar. Must admit, I was surprised by the number, but the source was reputable and normally reliable.

If these numbers are correct, 100,000 represents 20% of the population of the Algarve. Currently, the number of Covid cases in the Algarve is on the increase (Covid cases reach new high in the Algarve), with the first reported death in Lagos county. This group of 100,000 tend to be more mobile than permanent residents. If they are not included included in the vaccination program, what hope for the future,

The Christmas influx from the northern Portugal and holiday makers from overseas, could make the situation, even more interesting. ?

Last edited:

GHA

Visit site
Took just a moment on google.

Health Minister Marta Temido said experts were working to decide which groups should get the vaccine first as well as distribution logistics from transport to storage. She said vaccines that could arrive in January were part of one of several agreements made between the EU and pharmaceutical companies.

nortada

Visit site
Took just a moment on google.

Health Minister Marta Temido said experts were working to decide which groups should get the vaccine first as well as distribution logistics from transport to storage. She said vaccines that could arrive in January were part of one of several agreements made between the EU and pharmaceutical companies.

Thanks for this?

Dare I request a link so I can follow it for myself in my broken Portuguese or use Google Translate, and follow it in their broken Portuguese❓

nortada

Visit site
Thanks for the link.

From the link 'every citizen will get the chance to receive the correct dosage (generally two shots) to go back to a ‘normal life’ by at least the second half of next year.'

Will there be certification to prove vaccination?

Will we be able to fly (back to the UK) without being vaccinated?

If not, where necessary, will the 90/180 rule be relaxed?

Can see Catch 22 coming over the hill.

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
It does say every citizen and not every resident. Probably just a slip in terminology by the "Resident" but maybe not. I would imagine/ hope everyone with a health number will get the opportunity.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
I could be very wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're not in the health care system you wouldn't qualify, going private might be an option.....we will see.

greeny

Visit site
I could be very wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're not in the health care system you wouldn't qualify, going private might be an option.....we will see.
I would go further than that and say that if you're not in the health system you definitely won't qualify.
Not sure how the private clinics hospitals will be involved yet, if at all, with the administering of the vaccine. Portugal has not yet released the "plan". It's still being formulated by the experts we're told.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
I would go further than that and say that if you're not in the health system you definitely won't qualify.
Not sure how the private clinics hospitals will be involved yet, if at all, with the administering of the vaccine. Portugal has not yet released the "plan". It's still being formulated by the experts we're told.
The distribution of the vaccine in Spain is going to be via public health care centers, which you have to be in the system to use, that's not to say it will be the same in Portugal. Flying under the radar just got a bit more dangerous...

greeny

Visit site
No requirement for any isolation when you come to Portugal from UK AFAIK. You're just required to follow the current rules that are in place in your area at the time, which is dependant on what tier that area is in.
Safe Communities Portugal is a good place to find that out.

GHA

Visit site
Don't suppose anyone has any info about private clinics doing testing/vaccines? Will need both next year for some work and though no doubt much will change it would look good emailing back looking proactive. Ta

greeny

Visit site
Don't suppose anyone has any info about private clinics doing testing/vaccines? Will need both next year for some work and though no doubt much will change it would look good emailing back looking proactive. Ta
I know that Alvor hospital are doing it but it's too far for you. I would imagine their partner hospital at Gambelas Faro would be doing it as well.
They seem to offer it:- Keep updated with the latest warnings of the HPA Heath Group. Some info on here if you read lower down.
and more:-- COVID-19 Analysis
Centro de Testes COVID-19 Faro - Germano de Sousa - Postos de Colheita

All quiet on the vaccine front at the moment with regards to getting it.

Last edited:

GHA

Visit site
I know that Alvor hospital are doing it but it's too far for you. I would imagine their partner hospital at Gambelas Faro would be doing it as well.
They seem to offer it:- Keep updated with the latest warnings of the HPA Heath Group. Some info on here if you read lower down.
and more:-- COVID-19 Analysis
Centro de Testes COVID-19 Faro - Germano de Sousa - Postos de Colheita

All quiet on the vaccine front at the moment with regards to getting it.
Ta, no doubt the ground will be different next year anyway but something.
Moving forwards slowly for the rest of you >>
Vaccine will be free and optional.

Beneteau381

Visit site
I had a private antibody test done at the International Health Centre in Albufeira a few minths ago. I asked the price, she said €39 each so we pitched up, had it done then she said plus €50 each for initial consultation! We had a frank conversation
It was negative but the gp reckoned we had had it in the Feb, five months before, judging by the symptoms! She thought at the time that antibodies disappeared over time and that the T cells stayed

Reactions: GHA

Seastoke

Visit site
Coronavirus jab from Pfizer/ BioNTech approved for roll out in days

Hourly, from the U.K.we hear about the vaccines’ progress, plans priorities and timescales for roll out, the county’s attitude to vaccination etc.

Here in Portugal, I have heard nothing, save that a high percentage the population are very pro-vaccination.

No idea, how much, if any, vaccine Portugal has ordered, plans for roll out, priority for who will get, perceived time scales and the posture the country will take toward visitors.

For it to be effective mass vaccination is crucial. In a recent article, I read that, in addition to 50,000 registered expats, there could be up to another 100,000 (many of whom never spend 90 days in 180 Portugal), unregistered EU citizens, temporary residents or people living under the radar. Must admit, I was surprised by the number, but the source was reputable and normally reliable.

If these numbers are correct, 100,000 represents 20% of the population of the Algarve. Currently, the number of Covid cases in the Algarve is on the increase (Covid cases reach new high in the Algarve), with the first reported death in Lagos county. This group of 100,000 tend to be more mobile than permanent residents. If they are not included included in the vaccination program, what hope for the future,

The Christmas influx from the northern Portugal and holiday makers from overseas, could make the situation, even more interesting. ?
It’s time all them under the radar come out and paid taxes and declare where they are .