Portishead Cruising Club - Holms Race

john_filer

www.bristolchannel.co.uk
This Saturday is PCC's Holms race. The most enjoyable cruiser race in the channel. Unlike most handicap races where the fleet spreads out during the race, by picking your own start time (to arrive between the holms at low water), you will set off after any slower boats and spend the day trying to overtake them, whilst trying to fend off the faster boats astern. If you get it right there is normally racing action all day. Entry is free. You can turn up on the day, but if you want to be eligible for the prizes, we need a completed application form by this Wednesday (so we can be confident of any handicap number that you present us with). Please see the PCC website for further details (www.portisheadcruisingclub.org.uk)

Sneds

Visit site
Hi John

We shall be out and about on our maiden voyage in the new (mobo) boat on Saturday.
Look forward to seeing you guys racing and will keep out of the way! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sneds

Visit site
Bush Baby, 28ft sports cruiser.
Our home berth is the city docks.
Will you have a space for us on Friday night pls?

graham

Visit site
You should enter BushBaby in the race. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Leave Portishead half an hour before low water back by half an hour after, /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have allways fancied having a go on this event ,working this weekend unfortunately.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Disaster - Snow Petrel was taking on water yesterday so I had to lift out into the yard early this morning. Looks like a new shaft seal is needed. The skipper is said to be devastated.

Anyway, it looks like it will be a gentle drift down and back, so those with the later start times may be unlucky. BTW the 0800 and 0830 lock-outs from Portishead are now full, so anyone who hasn't booked yet will need to go earlier, or take the 0930, which is the last lock.

Allan

Visit site
Did everyone make it? I saw a few happy sailors in the lock about 5pm.
Are the results being published? I would love to see what the best time to start was.
Allan

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
I don't know who won, cos I was in the boatyard getting the rudder and prop off my boat. Booo!

Listening on Ch37 and chatting to some racers later it would seem that many gave up, and if you didn't have a spinnaker and a lot of patience in the calm period, you were getting nowhere fast.

Missed you at the weekend Allan, next time maybe.

johnchampion

www.Boatshedbristol.com
Results are on the PCC website (under Race Results - the clues in the section name!)

Best time to start was about 0820, a little earlier not too bad, a little later not too good.

26 from 39 got round including a dhow and several gaffers so possible even with light winds which made a very pleasant if not particularly adrenalin packed day.

Allan

Visit site
I was on a VHF course on Saturday, I saw Snow Petrel in the yard while walking around at lunch time. Lovely looking boat. If I had done the race I was planning on going out at 7 or 7-30am. I would probably have got back in the dark!
Allan