Portimao UK yacht aground.

greeny

Visit site
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news to someone out there. The yacht in the picture is UK flagged but I can't make out the name of her. It seems she dragged her anchor a few days ago in the strong winds and now looks to have maybe flooded. I'll know later when the tide is full and can see if she pops upright. The PM were in attendance this morning and checked her out. She seems to be unmanned and has been for some time it seems, so maybe the owner has got stuck in UK with the travel restrictions. I'm amazed that one of the other boats didn't take the time to drag her off and reset the anchor. I'll also take a drive over to the shore there and see if I can get the name of her. If the owner reads this then feel free to pm me for more info if you want to.

Edit - just checked the tides and high water was 1046 this morning and she didn't come upright. Tides getting bigger as the week progresses. Photos were taken at 1000 hrs.

Attachments

• IMG_20210123_095234001a.jpg
    IMG_20210123_095234001a.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20210123_095238940b.jpg
    IMG_20210123_095238940b.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news to someone out there. The yacht in the picture is UK flagged but I can't make out the name of her. It seems she dragged her anchor a few days ago in the strong winds and now looks to have maybe flooded. I'll know later when the tide is full and can see if she pops upright. The PM were in attendance this morning and checked her out. She seems to be unmanned and has been for some time it seems, so maybe the owner has got stuck in UK with the travel restrictions. I'm amazed that one of the other boats didn't take the time to drag her off and reset the anchor. I'll also take a drive over to the shore there and see if I can get the name of her. If the owner reads this then feel free to pm me for more info if you want to.

Edit - just checked the tides and high water was 1046 this morning and she didn't come upright. Tides getting bigger as the week progresses. Photos were taken at 1000 hrs.

Oh dear, recovery is going to be difficult. Big pumps then tow to the marina for lift out.

What impact will the enhanced lockdown (curfew?) have on a salvage operation❓

As you know, we have been here a while so if you can PM us the vessel’s name I will ask about.

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
Update:-
I now have the vessel name which is " Whatever"
She is an Oceanis 390.
No visible SSR or other registration identity.
UK flagged.
The companionway is open and the manual bilge pump handle is in the pump socket on the stbd quarter as though the PM have entered and maybe tried to pump out to get her afloat. Not much chance of that if she's full.
Use of boats is severely restricted due to the lockdown here otherwise I would have got along side in the rib and checked exactly the situation but I'm 99% sure she is flooded. I can't see any other reason for her not to come at least partially upright on the tide. It's sand not mud so she's almost certainly not "stuck" down with suction.
If anyone knows the owner please pm me because the PM here are not the quickest to salvage and remove/pump out stranded boats. I suspect it will lie there now until the owner turns up. As long as there's no pollution they won't care. I may be proved wrong tomorrow though.
I have close up pictures now showing the situation better, but will not post at the moment and will give the owner time to get in touch first.
It's very sad that someone didn't undertake to help a fellow sailor, and drag her off a few days ago before she flooded. Or maybe they were told not to by the PM.

nortada

Visit site
The Estaleiros Rosa Cabral e Soares knows about the boat, GNR has been there and the owner was on the yard the other day.

So all appears to be in hand.

Still very sad.

nortada

Visit site
Thanks Nortada. I'll stand down then. :)

Hi Greeny,

Great bit of work on your part and possibly you have uncovered the tip of an iceberg.

See you have just posted a follow-up thread suggesting there might be a case to formalise reporting back to owners on a site in YBW.

I, for one, am 100% for it and hope the YBW will take this on in some form or another.

Nortada

I am reporting this message to bring it to the notice of the FAT.