Port v Starboard

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Same rule for sailing boats, it's one of the most important although there are many others.

Using these rules tactically is a massive part of the fun of yacht racing.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
But the description given in the OP appears to be the reverse of the standard port-starboard rule. i.e. Starboard tack is when the WIND comes over Starboard side.

The OP above states the opposite, read it.

flaming

Visit site
I think you're both wrong, the description seems fine to me.

Kite being in the left of the window means it is heading left when looking from the kiter, like the kite they have indicated on their diagram. Given all the weird and wonderful things kiters get up to I think it's about the only way to define it that couldn't be confused.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I think you're both wrong, the description seems fine to me.

Kite being in the left of the window means it is heading left when looking from the kiter, like the kite they have indicated on their diagram. Given all the weird and wonderful things kiters get up to I think it's about the only way to define it that couldn't be confused.
Ahhhhh. I was reading it as 12 o'clock being the bow and hoping that the kiter is looking where he's going.

Triassic

Visit site
I agree with Flaming, the description makes sense to me. Think of the kite as a spinnaker (not difficult, we often call them kites...) if it's ahead of you to the right of the boat (board) you're on port, if it's to the left you're on starboard. I think the confusion came with folk not appreciating that 12 O'clock is dead downwind?

flaming

Visit site
I agree with Flaming, the description makes sense to me. Think of the kite as a spinnaker (not difficult, we often call them kites...) if it's ahead of you to the right of the boat (board) you're on port, if it's to the left you're on starboard. I think the confusion came with folk not appreciating that 12 O'clock is dead downwind?

Sort of, when I was learning to kite they defined 12 O'clock as straight up. But it is downwind. I did find I had to mentally translate what they were saying in terms of wind direction into "sailor" to be able to understand it.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
You're exactly right with the spinnaker analogy. I was in 'white sail' mode.

lw395

Visit site
It seems correct to me that a board proceeding generally leftwards in the picture is on port, it's consistent with the kite being like a spinnaker etc etc.
As the board changes heading a lot I can see that the 'ship' definition of tack, where you're boom or fore/aft sail defines the leeward side won't work, as the boar may instaneously be heading above or below the kite.
So I am happy about what tack they are on but I cannot work out WTH a 'wind window' is.

Birdseye

Visit site
Yes thats the key - the kite is like a kite, not the mainsail.

Mind you, would you treat one of them as being on a port tack or as a vessel not under command? I think I would do my best to get out of the way if I came across one.

flaming

Visit site
It seems correct to me that a board proceeding generally leftwards in the picture is on port, it's consistent with the kite being like a spinnaker etc etc.
As the board changes heading a lot I can see that the 'ship' definition of tack, where you're boom or fore/aft sail defines the leeward side won't work, as the boar may instaneously be heading above or below the kite.
So I am happy about what tack they are on but I cannot work out WTH a 'wind window' is.
windwindow2.jpg