Poor TV reception?

uksailor

Visit site
Just in case any of you have been unable to conquer this problem, I thought my recently acquired knowledge might be of interest... thanks to John and Cathy. Having been shown it, I tried it myself and it works! The recommended solution is to invest in a digital receiver for your TV (the new ones that the BBC has been promoting). A one off payment for your receiver, then just connect it up to your existing TV and, wow, where did that picture come from? What's more, you've now got loads more channels. Thomson make one sold through Makro for £70 (seen working afloat), Currys also sell three models. I bought a Grundig from Currys. Yes it pixilates occasionally particularly when the wind kicks in but IMHO, it's a price worth paying. I hope it makes your wet nights afloat in UK waters a little more pleasurable.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
What power source is required for the receiver? e.g. how many watts as I would use mine with a 1000 watt generator.

Cheers,

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

G

Do those Glomex things actually work, Mark? Also, I don't suppose the digital jobbies will run off 12V?

<hr width=100% size=1>

rich

www.portofjersey.je
TV? I get on the boat to get away from every day life, as for the phone i allways manage to forget to bring it onboard./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>rich :))

ChrisP

Visit site
Got fed up with lousy picture too many building around the marina for conventional signal (and ground based digital). Bought satelite system less than £200 all up and can use anywhere.

Chrisp ;o)

<hr width=100% size=1>What do you mean the sea gull in front's walking !!!

G

You don`t have a t.v. on board to watch the programmes. It`s to show people you have one. When people come on by boat the first thing they say is OH LOOK a T.V .We very rarely turn it on after all what is there to watch.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Which one did you buy as I am looking for one at the moment?

<hr width=100% size=1>

c_j

Visit site
Ok then what is best, I agree to a certain extent that TV on board is not really necessary but sometimes I like to watch news at lunchtimes and at present our reception is rubbish. It may be an ariel problem but I have not really investigated yet, but if there were a reasonably priced fix that did not include moving satalite dishes around the foredeck I would be up for that.

<hr width=100% size=1>CJ
chris@stone.uk.com

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stone.uk.com>http://www.stone.uk.com</A>

ccscott49

Visit site
I tried everything for a picture, including most of the boat/caravan antennas. I bought a satellite system, with the dish on the quay, great picture, but you do need the 60cm dish, not the 30cm one. (in the Med) Only use it during the winter when tied up in a marina, no use at anchor. Don't want it in the summer anyway, too busy, enjoying myself, outside.

<hr width=100% size=1>