Pontoons or marinas in day cruising distance from Suffolk Yacht Harbour?

DennisF

Hi all,

I am considering moving my boat from Milford Haven to the East Coast, specifically near Ipswich. I have looked a a swinging mooring at Suffolk Yacht Harbour. However, my wife dislikes getting in a dinghy and although I can go and fetch the boat, a friend who used to sail there quite a while ago thought that cruising destinations for a day or weekend might be a bit limited in terms of places you can get alongside on a pontoon or marina so that the wife and kids could stretch their legs or all go out for a meal etc.

I haven't sailed the area so thought I would ask the forum what the cruising destinations are like for a day sail or weekend, and whether there are plenty of places you can get a pontoon berth when visiting.

DennisF

What sort of boat, draft etc?

From the Orwell you have the Deben (TideMill) and Ore/Alde to the north no marina - tide dependent but not to south Walton Backwaters, then further south the Colne (Brightlingsea), Blackwater.

Lots of choice.

It's a 31ft Westerly Berwick drawing 1.1m (bilge keeler). Main issues are that my wife doesn't like dinghys and we have 2 boys under 12 so wife also worried about not all being able to fit into a dinghy that can easily be stored on the boat.

MikeBz

With good planning, a fair tide and fair winds you can get to the Swale/Medway in a day - so add Chatham, Gillingham,(Hoo?), Queenborough, Conyer & Oare. Ramsgit perhaps too. Southwold in the other direction. And then there are places with moorings & water taxi service (West Mersea at least, Brightlingsea already mentioned, Orford). Plenty of beautiful quiet places to overnight on board as well - these are the real gems of the East Coast.

Guise

Can we add Southwold, pontoons as well as staging to lie alongside.

And West Mersea, although moorings you can use the yacht club taxi service for a ride ashore - which is much more civilized than a dinghy.

Colvic Watson

Tolesbury Marina with its pool and restaurant and same price as a Mersea visitors buoy.

Brightlingsea.

Concerto

Why not invest in a pilot guide? I would recommend the East Coast Pilot published by Imray. The 3 authors are all contributors to the East Coast Forum on ybw.com. Also look at their web site http://www.eastcoastpilot.com/.

Also worth looking at Visit My Harbour http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/east-coast/

Finally have look at Dylan (of this parish) Winters videos http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/

These should all tempt you to understand the glories of the East Coast.

Nearly forgot. There is an active East Coast group for the Westerly Owners Association you could join in with.

Last edited:

Tiller Girl

Two separate things going on; one the mooring charge which raises funds for the provision and maintenance of the buoyage; two the Yacht Club charges visitors for use of the launch but there is some sort of discount if you then drink/lunch in the YC. Sorry I don't know the details.

Supine Being

You could also include Heybridge Basin. Note that is has very restricted access and you should arrange a berth in advance.

sailorman

Two separate things going on; one the mooring charge which raises funds for the provision and maintenance of the buoyage; two the Yacht Club charges visitors for use of the launch but there is some sort of discount if you then drink/lunch in the YC. Sorry I don't know the details.
Their mooring charge per night is far more than a Dutch marina with walk ashore, power, water & showers