Pondering if to change engines ????

waynes world

Visit site
Hi all. hope your having a good bank holiday. Not faffing about like me pondering on these engines and drives.

I have a mid 70`s Fairline Fury here i am working on, in no big rush so just enjoying the work, while doing this I have started to wonder if to keep the two Volvo Penta AQ130 petrol inboard engines and 270 outdrives and setting the boat up for outboards. Reason is running cost in the future if fuel goes even higher due to these dam electric cars etc. And more and more folk are not wanting inboard petrol engines. Diesel is to costly for me to convert to.

I can easy enough make a platform to take either single or twin outboards so if/when i sell engine choice for waters it will be used on will be easier aswell. No need for 260hp on rivers etc and if going to sea then what ever suits . Anf yep i would need to ballast the stern etc

whats your thoughts, good idea or bad ?

Tranona

Visit site
While a single outboard for inland waterways might be more attractive, not sure converting it to run 250+hp outboards would make it more attractive to buyers than the current setup in terms of economy or usability. Biggest drawbacks with those old motors is keeping them running rather than fuel cost if you want to use the performance.

waynes world

Visit site
While a single outboard for inland waterways might be more attractive, not sure converting it to run 250+hp outboards would make it more attractive to buyers than the current setup in terms of economy or usability. Biggest drawbacks with those old motors is keeping them running rather than fuel cost if you want to use the performance.
yes, costly to get an outboard setup to get similar performance if folk want that. if folk want that performance though in this boat its costly to run either way. outboards easier to maintain i would think ?
Thats the thing, inboard high maintenance or more costly easier to maintain outboard.