Plymouth- Best refueling/crew pick-up point & best Pilot?

MrCramp

Visit site
Will be on passage from Falmouth on Sunday next, 19 April, and need to pick up crew and fuel around lunch time. Please could you advise on easiest place for getting the fuel and picking up a crew member?

I will also buy a pilot for the South West and Solent. Which is the one (or is it two) to buy?

S

Skyva_2

I don't know them all, but Queen Anne's Battery has fuel right at the entrance and no lock.

Crew will need to negotiate the security gate to pontoons but that probably applies everywhere.

As for pilots, Tom Cunliffe's Channel Pilot covers all of the South Coast. Mark Fishwick's West Country Cruising has more detail and is very readable if you spend time in the West Country.

I

Iota

How are the crew getting to the pick-up point?

If by public transport then QAB is the best bet.

If by car I would opt for Plymouth Yacht Haven as car parking is a lot easier and no cost.

Both have fuel berths.

Pilots as per Skysail recommendations

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
QAB is easier to access... but you can wait a long time before anyone notices you waiting for fuel!! In our experience getting the fuel at PYH is easier...... and there is better access to toilets..

Evadne

Visit site
A second vote for the Channel pilot, it covers all usable ports. I'm on my second set, although it is still the Shell channel pilot and Mr Cunliffe had yet to become the author.

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
If visiting the Solent then Derek Aslett's Yachting Monthly Cruising Companion (c £15 from Amazon) is an essential handbook, even tho it follows the current trend of commenting on pub grub instead of drying heights.
All depends on what sort of boozer/navigator you are . . .

snowleopard

Visit site
Re: Plymouth- Best refueling/crew pick-up point & best Pilot?

Mayflower is convenient for fuel. Call on VHF first. They are a bit more out of the way for crew change.

There is a public pontoon at Saltash which is useful for boarding though some locals treat it as a free marina and ignore the time limit so it can be a bit of a scrum.

Carolwildbird

art-of-remembering.typepad.com

If you want a copy of " the channel cruising companion" (featherstone and aslett), I have one I'm not going to use (brand new).. £10 +p&p?

Mayflower is very easy access for fuel (apart from at low water) but not quite so easy for crew- unless arriving by taxi anyway

MrCramp

Visit site

Thanks to all for the advice. Launching at Falmouth Saturday and intend to overnight at Fowey. I am "shore crew/transport, it is my son who has bought the boat and is bringing it back to the East Coast. Boat is a Westerly Tiger named Jenellys with distinctive red boot top.

Carolwildbird, thanks for the book offer but we have settled on the Channel Pilot. Good luck living aboard.

whisper

Visit site

Another vote for QAB. It's the nearest marina to the harbour entrance and the A38.
When you arrive at the fuel berth give the office a call on the VHF and they'll be down "dreckly".