Plotting on a chart - oops!

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Just spent a "fun" afternoon updating an old(ish) chart with the boundaries of the London Array phase 1 wind farm and found it an interesting, if rather tedious, exercise

Why, I wonder, are the boundaries quite so complex?

Anyway, there I was half way through and beginning to wonder WTF was going on 'cos my boundary looked increasingly different from the small scale drawing on the NTM when I realised I was plotting the Lat and Long to the Long and Lat on the chart! I've spent 40 odd years working with the OS National Grid where coordinates are given as Eastings then Northings and without even thinking about it started plotting the first coordinate (lat) on the horizontal and the second (long) on the vertical. Doh!

Having sorted that little upcock out (it only wasted about an hour), it was interesting to find that the boundary defined by the list of coordinates differs somewhat from the boundary drawn on the accompanying chart.

Bru

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
would those not have ended up in South America or off Mogadishu ?

Probably (!) if I'd been plotting the degrees wrong as well but it was only the minutes I was messing up - I plotted the first coord correctly and then went wrong from there! You learn a little every day I guess :)

sarabande

Visit site
better a mistake under controlled conditions than later on ramming the dam' windmills !

A useful lesson passed on.