Please identify this mainsail furling system

Wandering Star

Visit site
Hi all, the Dufour 2800 sailing boat I’ve purchased comes with a in mast furling system. i’ve no experience of using one nor even of bending on the sail and running the lines correctly. The lines, halyards, outhaul and reefing lines are removed and replaced with mouses (mice). The blocks, sheets, slidey things are all present but need assembling. The previous owner passed away 4 years ago so I’ve no one to ask for help.

I believed the mast was replaced in 2012 but I’ve just heard from Selden and they confitm although the mast is theirs the furling system iisn’t theirs. ’d like to identify which make/model it is so I can try to find a user manual for it. I’m not on the boat until next week and only have a single photo of the reefing gear at the base of the mast plus another of the boat sailing with the original owner at the helm.

Any help identifying the system fro so few clues would be really appreciated.

Attachments

• 6605CCD8-F12E-42B6-A444-838EB534BA57.jpeg
    6605CCD8-F12E-42B6-A444-838EB534BA57.jpeg
    729.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 715ABBA4-8DA9-4582-9F67-B01A5C6481EF.jpeg
    715ABBA4-8DA9-4582-9F67-B01A5C6481EF.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 91

Moonbeam

Visit site
Looks like an Easyreef behind mast retro fit.

We had one on our Konsort for 12 years. Once you have it set up right and learn how to use it properly, it's very simple and easy to use. We liked it a lot (but we were already in-mast converts) Lots of people will tell you to junk it. I would not be one of them.

Lots of things you need to get right before you will enjoy owning the system.

I'd start by removing the reefing line and giving it a good wash as it looks stiff and green. Log how many turns it has on the drum before you remove it.

Some tips...

Before hoisting the main... apply a silicone spray grease to upper halyard swivel and make sure it spins freely. Same with lower furling drum.

When you hoist the mainsail, do not over tighten the halyard... you do not want to too have any tension in the luff, the sail luff might have some small wrinkles, that's fine, the mast wants to be straight, no rake.

With the mainsail hoisted and the main sheet loose, set the vang to stop the boom rising when it comes to furling the sail, you are generally looking for the boom to be about right angles to the mast, but this depends on the cut of the foot on the main (our boom was a little higher than 90 degrees because our foot was cut at an angle to spread the furl within the mast)

Now tighten the mainsheet hard and set the topping lift.

Now to the furling bit...

This is always best done with the wind just off (about 15-20 degrees) to starboard as it keeps a bit of tension on the sail to enable a neat furl.

RELEASE the mainsheet, you do not want any tension in it.

Keep some tension on the outhaul while you pull the reefing line to furl away the main. I used the reefing line on a coach roof self tailing winch with one hand as the other hand kept tension on the outhaul.

TOP TIP: Most people get the dreaded 'jam' while unfurling the main. It's usually because the sail is too loosely furled in the mast when it was put away (although a tired, baggy and out of shape mainsail can also cause a jam - if so, it will need a re-cut )

So... to avoid this:

Once the sail is furled, lock off the outhaul on a cleat or jammer and then continue to winch or pull in the reefing line for a further half turn of the furling drum. This tightens the main nicely on itself (like you would on a roll of wrapping paper) which means it will unfurl nicely next time.

To unfurl:

Again, wind just off the starboard side by about 15-20 degrees (assuming your sail furls on the same side as ours) helps the sail out.

RELEASE the mainsheet (not doing so is another common cause of problems)

Pull or winch on the outhaul while keeping a bit of tension on the reefing line (but not much as you make it harder to pull out the main)

Things to look out for:

Make sure all your lines (outhaul and reefing) move freely through free moving deck organisers and blocks.

You might need to play with the angle of the reefing line feeding into the furling drum. Adjust the block on the boom so that the reefing line runs nicely onto the drum while reefing in. The line can snag on the furling drum if entering too high.

Lots of info and threads on this forum if you do a search on maxiroach and easyreef furling mainsail systems.

Wandering Star

Visit site
Hi Moonbeam, thanks for taking the time to explain all this, it’s exactly what I needed and most helpful. Yes, I’ve now searched on the internet for Easyreef and believe you’re correct. Will now do a search of YouTube plus these forums as you suggest. ATB. Brian.

Tranona

Visit site
They were made just up the road in Ringwood and enjoyed a short day in the sun during the 90s. However quickly (along with Facnor who was the other major player) discovered the market was very limited, partly because they were often fitted to unsuitable boats and partly because of quality and reliability problems, particularly on larger boats. He (forget his name) then moved on to early versions of battened furling sails Maxiroach, but again found that the market was limited particularly when the big sailmakers got into the business. By then furling systems from the big mast makers came on the scene and new boats that were suited to the systems became common and even for retrofits complete new masts were viable for some.

penfold

Visit site
It's a french late 70s/early 80s AWB; what do you need to know? They're pretty well built for a mass-produced product, sail well enough.

Wandering Star

Visit site
Bit of thread drift,looking at Dufour 2800 here in Galicia,how do you find the boat
Hi Wanswprth,

I’ve only just bought her, her previous owner owned her for 22 years but died about 4 years ago and she’s been left ashore during that time. Considering she has a very new (27 hours) Beta 16hp engine and excellent sails, she was a bargain! I’ve tidied her up and she was launched 2 weeks ago but I haven’t sailed her yet because I’ve been saing my sons boat in Greece for the last 20 days do no real opinions yet on her sailing and build performance. Am planning on sailing her from the Tamsr river round to Southampton next week so i should find out more about her then.

Wansworth

Visit site
Hi Wanswprth,

I’ve only just bought her, her previous owner owned her for 22 years but died about 4 years ago and she’s been left ashore during that time. Considering she has a very new (27 hours) Beta 16hp engine and excellent sails, she was a bargain! I’ve tidied her up and she was launched 2 weeks ago but I haven’t sailed her yet because I’ve been saing my sons boat in Greece for the last 20 days do no real opinions yet on her sailing and build performance. Am planning on sailing her from the Tamsr river round to Southampton next week so i should find out more about her then.
Thanks,enjoy……the one in Galicia has been sold or taken off the market🙁

finbarr30

Visit site
Yes, that looks like the Easyreef system although more detailed photos would be needed for me to be absolutely sure. In any case, Moonbeams tips are spot on for avoiding in-mast furling problems.

I have not been able to source a Easyreef manual or diagrams for maintenance, as they have been out of business for a number of years. But if you do attempt maintenance, a word of warning: when loosening the nuts holding the drums in place - the bearings can drop out and will typically make a beeline for the scuppers. Best to set a bucket or container below the drum. A good greasing did make for better handling though.

Also tightening/loosening the nut underneath the drum will adjust the tension on the furling spindle - getting the 'right' (not too tight, not too loose - test it in harbour) tension makes for better furling and less chance of jams. Tightening the nut also prevents the annoying clanking of the spindle inside the mast if you've removed the sail (over winter for example).

Moonbeam

Visit site
when loosening the nuts holding the drums in place - the bearings can drop out and will typically make a beeline for the scuppers. Best to set a bucket or container below the drum. A good greasing did make for better handling though.
Yes, I found that the first time I removed the drum... the second time I did it, I realised I could leave the stainless steel fairlead bar (that keeps the reefing line furling nicely) bolted to the top and bottom bearing on the drum which helped keep it together when removing... still have to be careful mind you as the bar only holds one side and the bearings can still slip out, but made reinstalling easier! The reason for removal of our furling drum was the centre drum was grinding on the lower bearing... years of use had worn a rut in the lower bearing and the delrin ball bearings were in the rut. Solved by adding a thin washer to cover the rut.

Attachments

• IMG_20160316_115409.jpg
    IMG_20160316_115409.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42

Jimfish

Visit site
Hello Finnbar 30 and Moonbeam, I have an Easyreef on my Moody 336. I've been searching for diagrams/instructions explaining how to remove the bottom furling drum which it sounds like you both have done. Would you be able to offer step by step instructions or perhaps take a phone call to discuss? I'm afraid I am not particularly gifted when it comes to matters like this and have been nervous of attempting disassembly. Many thanks in advance . Jim