plastimo danbouy light-reed switch - from where?

Scomber

Visit site
hi
bust the 'normally closed' macro reed switch in the light -anyone tell me which replacement one i need (part no. spec etc) -and where to get a couple from-thanks
any other tips apart from being more careful when soldering and replacing it !!

pvb

Visit site
You can get tiny reed switches easily from places like Maplin or RS. Some come with flyleads so you can solder clumsily!

William_H

Visit site
I am familiar with normal reed switches available from electronics stores or found in window security alarm switches etc. However I have never seen a normally closed reed switch. I can imagine that the light is stowed near a permanent magnet which holds the reed switch open. Light goes on when magnet is not near it.
However reed switches I have seen have 2 pieces of overlapping iron wire inside a protective tube. A tiny spring tension holds them apart. However in a magnetic field that passes along the axis of the 2 wires the field across the gap pulls them together. Simple but how could you get them to move apart in a magnetic field. Perhaps using the like poles repell principal. But I have never seen them in use or for sale. So Perhaps you just need a normally open switch or someone can as often happens set me straight on such things olewill

RIBW

Visit site
.....anyone tell me which replacement one i need (part no. spec etc) -and where to get a couple from-

Hi,
If Farnell have the exact item - great (you probably know they have a minimum order charge - £20 last time I used them).
Failing that, I have just used (not absolutely sure mine was a Plastimo dan but the magnetic 'horseshoe' holds the circuit open):-
------ RI-90 Reed Switch, SPDT N/O (normally open) and N/C (normally closed) -------
for the same repair. I found it on eBay [mmmiillaann@gmail.com] for £2.50 including postage. You'll note it is a changeover version so I just chopped off the unwanted leg. All now working fine.
Cheers
Bob