Planning first trip onto tidal Thames - tips & advice needed!!

SeaDave

Visit site
I've been cruising round the Thames between Teddington and Windsor for the last couple of months and want to stretch myself a bit more. Hence I'm planning a trip into London.

I'm currently moored in Shepperton and so am about 3 hours from teddington - my plan was to get to Teddington for about 10am and then head on into Central London.

What do I need to be aware of?

I'm hoping to go to Canary Wharf area to see some friends but am not sure if this is viable.

I'm mainly concerned about tides, VHF (if it should be used) and other things I haven't even thought of!

All tips, experiences and advice very welcome.

Thanks.

apollo

Visit site
Re: Planning first trip onto tidal Thames - tips & advice needed!!

Nowhere in your message do you mention tides?

You may get to Teddington at 10:00 but if the tide is out you will struggle to get to London.

I would always advise that the first time, you go with another boat that has done it before or better still join a club.

SeaDave

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Nowhere in your message do you mention tides?

You may get to Teddington at 10:00 but if the tide is out you will struggle to get to London.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you mean? The reason I posted was the question was that I have no idea - could you expand a bit please? Ta.

ms1

Visit site

You cant just ride down to London and pull up for a few hours.
You could go down with the tide and return with the tide same day in which case Teddington to say Dagenham and back makes an easy ride taking in London sights from the river. Most visits to London are coordinated with entry times into a London marina thus departure from Teddington and through Richmond are coordinated with the marina locking window (before/ after high tide) thus you need to know tide times in order to plan that. I would strongly advise VHF if only to hear what is going on, but in the event of difficulty it is essential. (London VTS Channel 14)
As previously mentioned strongly advise you travel first time in company. Consider Walton Bridge Cruiser Club (members mostly Shepperton and Penton Hook marinas) with regular tidal cruises, Chiswick, St Katherines, River Medway, Ramsgate , East Coast.
http://www.waltonbridge.org.uk/

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site

Canary Wharf is best done from Limehouse, which ahs a usefully wide tidal window. I'm guessing that your SeaRay has plenty of grunt so punching a flood isnt too much of an issue beyind extra fuel useage. Consider leaving Shepperton on a Friday evening, overnight on Teddingto moorings (£5 or so) and then fitting the tide the following day, a morning HW London Bridge will do you an afternoon in Limehouse, evening out and a civilised time departure window back on Sunday. You will want to do Limehouse-Shepperton in one hit though:)

I've made it to Limehouse from Sunbury is about 4 hours dead but that's being lucky with the locks. I've also done Limehouse-Molesey in > 6 hours having to p1ss around with Richmond Lock, which is best avoided.

markosy

Visit site
We went last Sunday, decided to go on the Friday, so tides not really in our favour.
Left Walton at 8.30 arrived Richmond at 11.30, had to use the lock which is best avoided as it takes ages. We were then on the last of the outgoing tide, very low water 0.9m through Hammersmith tide started to turn at Putney so we punched the tide to Westminster arrived there at 13.30. Turned back ( to avoid the trip boats in central London ) and arrived at Richmond at 15.30 in time for the barrier to be lifted. Returned to walton at 18.30.

A good trip, and good weather, not like today

PM me when you are going and we may tag along

oldgit

Visit site

"Richmond Lock, which is best avoided."
Agree,makes Glastonbury on a very very wet weekend,look positively dry and non muddy.Last time we used lock,boat and me was covered in slimey gooey muck from walls chains and everthing else you went anywhere near.