Places to stop around Richmond, Kingston or Teddington?

NealB

Visit site
We hope to bring 'Arendala' from Chertsey to Limehouse. We're thinking of taking two days for the trip, stopping overnight somewhere before Richmond, then doing the tidal bit the next day.

Does anyone have any suggestions on good places to stop, please?

As this will be our first inland experience, any other advice would be gratefully listened to (we have done several tens of thosands of miles coastal sailing, and we've been through France to the Mediterranean several times, but the non-tidal times will be new to us).

Many thanks.

trev

Visit site
A good place to overnight on the way down is Hampton Court - the moorings are adjacent to the palace.
It may mean an early start next morning for Teddington, depending on your outward tide, but its a nicer place (IMHO) than Kingston or Teddington.

alistairedw

Visit site
I would agree with Hampton Court as the most pleasant place to moor overnight. If you really need to be further downstream it is quite pleasant at Teddington. You can listen to the water roaring over the weir.

My favourite mooring spot in Kingston is on the island just downstream from Kingston near a pub called the Boaters (or Jolly Boaters?). Very peaceful and no risk of local yoof bothering you.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Agree with all; just to note that the island mentioned is what SWMBO calls "Goosepoo Island", and you may be harangued (but no more) by angry ganders. It can be noisy by local yoofs belting down the Hampton to Richmond road.

After Hampton Court the Teddington lock mooring is very posh but you'll have to pay a fiver for it, but at least you have a wooden or modern plastic faced pontoon to which to moor.

The Kingston mooring is aptly marked with 'P' signs as the LA obviously doesn't understand the correct terminology....

oldgit

Visit site
Will second Hampton Ct.Good chance to look round the house and several OK eateries within short walk of moorings.Station nearbye for any "friends" who want to come and join you.

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
[ QUOTE ]
Will second Hampton Ct.Good chance to look round the house and several OK eateries within short walk of moorings.Station nearbye for any "friends" who want to come and join you.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thames motor Yacht club is based at hampton court here and will let you stay there they are a friendly lot and there is a bar

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
With regard to the tidal bit

below teddington is tidal but the river is still navigable would advise having a fish finder as the main hazards are the pleasure cruisers who have been known to force boats
aground ( ask the owner of conflict of dreams moored at richmond ) if travelling to stay at limehouse arrive around high tide

oh and forgot............................

other hazards are the robos rubbish and raggies

the raggies are not too bad but have a habit of tacking in front of your bow and somtimes into your sides

The robos are a rude lot who have little or no knowledge of the colregs they are paranoid about wash mobos and even when creating little or no wash they will rant and swear at you
the worst offenders congregate around twickenham and richmond above and below there they are not too bad

above and below fulham watch out for large objects as there is a lot of fly tipping in the river there of building stuff etc

in the central london area call london vts up to let them know who and where you are going be very careful and wary of the commercial boats and stay well away from the houses of parliament ( there are police with guns there )

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Hammertons ferry moorings are a good choice between Teddington and Richmond. Quiet unless there is a comcert on at the nearby "big house" and/or fireworks. A tenner a couple of years ago and avoids doing Teddington at night if that is what the tides dictate.

alistairedw

Visit site
Hammertons is a possibility but I would be inclined to phone and book a spot because the moorings are very full down there. I was out 'skive sailing' this afternoon and the pontoons all looked pretty full.

If you are not bothered about going ashore you could anchor downstream from Hammertons. The river is quite wide there so you can tuck in out of the path of any river traffic. Just need to make sure you have enough room to swing when the tide turns.

Anchoring there is fun because you get a bounce effect 2 hours after high water when they bring up the gates at Richmond Lock. Having seen two hours of ebbing tide you then see the flow reverse again for about 20 minutes!

Forbsie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I was out 'skive sailing' this afternoon and the pontoons all looked pretty full.

[/ QUOTE ]

We were having a tea-break at you sailed past. Didn't know it was you otherwise I'd have brewed you a cup. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

alistairedw

Visit site
Sailing an Enterprise single handed whilst drinking tea! Now there is a challenge. I suspect most of it would get slopped.

Very few of the TYC mob go out sailing unless there is a race, so if you see an Enterprise out mid week it is usually me avoiding work.

TrueBlue

Visit site
That's what put me off in my yoof; the tiller in one hand and the rule book in t'other; Ranelah (sp?) on the Tideway, Minima on the level bit...

alistairedw

Visit site
Club racing on the river is a lot more relaxed nowadays. We don't take it too seriously. The race is really just an excuse to go for a sail (plus a few pints afterwards). /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif