Places to Sail

G

Help! We own a 16ft weekender trailer-sailer. and are looking for fresh water to sail it in. Any ideas? We've been to Cumbria in the past and want to try further afield. We live in Manchester. Somewhere nice with jetty type moorings (essential) and good shorebased facilities (hopeful) would be ideal.

G

Try The Trail Sail Association Its only £6.00 to join and they have lots of info re launching etc. Contact Dennis Holden email: truantsdandm@tinyonline.co.uk You can look on my site for moorings at.www.mooringstolet.com Ive only just set it up and will add new moorings when I am notified. Regards Mal Aindow

G

Loch Lomond and the Great Glen - Lochs Ness, Oich, Lochy etc. (if you really meant 'fresh' water).

If your nav. and particularly tide-work is up to speed, GO TO SEA.

The West Coast of Scotland has some remarkably sheltered waters, and stunning scenery.

North Wales - Conway, Pwhelli etc. are a day sail for you, except for the constraints of the tides in many harbours.

The Solent should be on the hit list, Bucklers Hard on the Beaulieu River is a great starting point, loads of parking, gentle slip, central for most Solent destinations.

Poole could keep you occupied for a very long weekend, heaven to creep behind one of the islands for shelter and spend the night amongst the oystercatchers.

Torquay and Brixham both have launching slips though parking was always a problem (a decade or more ago) which can only be worse now. Torbay and Dartmouth are all good cruising grounds for a boat like yours.

Apart from that I can't think of anywhere really!!!!!!

Ahhh....takes me back.

G

You could perhaps try the Menai Straits around Beaumaris.

Avoid the Swellies at first but there is some nice sailing between Bangor and Puffin Island.

As you gain confidence you could have a cruise as far as Conwy, or through the Swellies to Carnarfon.

There is not much freshwater sailing other than the lakes until you go to Scotland and thats a long way for a weekend.

G

If you go East, and it's surprising how quickly you can from Manchester, there's the whole of the Norfolk Broads, and it is still possible to avoid the motorcruisers!Or if your mast is easy to drop there is the Great Ouse Navigation downstream of Bedford.Approx 70 miles of water way not including its many adjoining tributaries. Email me if you'd like more details.I keep a little clinker boat at Bedford.

G

Yes. Norfolk Broads, great fun. I cruised there for 2 weeks and only dropped my mast once. Study a map and plan ahead. Email me for the cheapest launching/recovery site with free parking for car&trailer!. Rab.

G

poole harbour is great. we sailed our dayboat all over there last summer. we kept her on a pontoon at poole yacht club, cost us about 5 pound a day.

G

If you do not mind driving a bit, why not try the West coast of Scotland. I have been there for the last three years running in a small trailer sailer, staying at Dunstaffnage Yacht Haven near Oban. They have a good sheltered Marina, a good slip, are very friendly and helpful (and I think very good value at £50 per week). The scenery is spectacular and relatively sheltered, and there are interesting places to sail to in all directions.