Pix of rafting in harbours

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Debate going on on Thames forum about reluctance of boaters on the river to move up closer to each other and/or raft alongside when moorings are short/busy.

Would be helpful if some of you Solent based guys could post a few pics of what you consider normal practice in Yarmouth, Lymington, Cowes etc when it's busy.

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Haven't got a photo unfortunately, but have been part of a raft of six at the Folly when it's really busy. Maximum at Yarmouth is normally three out each side of the pontoons, iirc.

Weymouth is another place where you may find yourself with quite a long walk to get ashore....

[2068]

Visit site
IMG_3722.JPG

benjenbav

Visit site
No pics to hand, I'm afraid but, off the top of my head, I have seen five deep in Bembridge; I happily had someone raft alongside me on the pontoon outside the lock at Port Solent when we were both just there for a few minutes and I will commonly pass visitors' buoys in Itchenor Reach with a raft of three on a Saturday evening.

Chris_d

Visit site
Tried to raft in Cowes but the raggies won't go againest mobos there:
IMG_3803.jpg

never had to on the Thames mind /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Re: Is this the kind of thing you looking for, it is about 8 deep

Oops /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Mind you, I did once get a report from a particularly sarcastic Geography teacher which said something along the lines of "If ignorance were bliss, this pupil would be in Paradise" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

alt

Visit site

Last summer I was at a rally, berthed 12 deep (on the outside) - I wanted the outside because I was the smallest boat and I could make a quick escape in the morning. All was good until about 4am and I decided to try and get to bed. Think I woke up everyone in the other boats with the falling and uncontrolable laughter. The next night I was given a tender and told to float to my bed /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

rwoofer

Visit site
Was 13 deep at Cowes once. Reckon it took 10 minutes to get from the pontoon to my boat at the end. Lots of messing about with shorelines and attaching to similar length rafts to stop the whole lot breaking up when the tide built.

SeaDave

Visit site

Being new to all this - how does it work if you're the inside boat and return to it (to leave) to discover that there's 3 or 4 others attached?