Pippin 20 Thread - For New and Experienced Owners :)

mmcare00

Visit site
Hello all,

I've just acquired a 2004 Pippin 20, which has been standing in a back yard since its last owner bought it (about 10-12 years ago).

She's somewhat down at heel, having been allowed to sit without use, and had suffered some significant water ingress (there was a small drip from the forward hatch when I visited for the first time yesterday in torrential rain).

The good news is that I am delighted with the general overall potential of the boat - standing water inside the cabin suggests there are no leaks in the hull! (glass half-full mentality ;) ) and the excellent build quality means that with a little hard work she will return to sailing capability very soon.

Main jobs to be done, based on first sight:

1) Replace 1 tyre on trailer (done)
2) Source petrol tank and connector for outboard
3) Service 4 stroke outboard (oil change, greasing, change spark plug etc)
4) Full interior valet
5) Remove sails from sail bags and assess condition.
6) Replace all halyards and sheets - the ones on the boat appear to be those shown on the sale details from the last time it was sold, and they haven't improved with age, having been left to the elements since then!
7) Repair rubbing strake all round (various patches of rot and becoming detached from the hull / deck join)
8) Fabricate a new cabin door (current weatherboards are a bit rotten)
9) Remove, clean and re-fix headlining (come away in places)
10) Deep cleaning of cushions and covers
11) Reseal windows
12) Locate and reseal the drip at the front end.
13) Polish the hull
14) Service the trailer
15) Replace antifoul paint below waterline
16) Reseal and reseat cabin windows
17) Test shrouds and fixings, replacing where necessary.
18) Anything else that needs doing.

Number 18 is probably the thing that will take the longest :)

Realistically, it seems likely that it will be Spring 25 before we take our maiden voyage in her, but you never know!

Here are some pics of the boat as she stands, and from the sale brochure the last time she was sold (not sure when this was exactly):

Pippin now.jpg

Pippin on Trailer.jpg

Cockpit and transom.jpg

in the water not sure when.jpgDown below.jpg

Last edited:

mmcare00

Visit site
I wish I was a foot shorter :rolleyes:
Hello Mike, we all have our challenges ;) I'm 6ft, and didn't feel too cramped (yet) inside the cabin. The cockpit is large for a boat of this size, and she is quite beamy, so I'm confident the family will fit in when we (eventually) get on the water.

mmcare00

Visit site
Thanks Mike. A long way to go yet to get afloat, but I am looking forward to the sound of the water lapping gently against the hull, and that wonderful feeling of going to sleep on a swinging mooring, with the wind rustling through the rigging. Perhaps we can organise a sail trip for you, when she is afloat.

mmcare00

Visit site
Well, we got her out without too much fuss (new trailer coupling, and lots of huffing, puffing and cussing)...

And here she is at home. Trailer drove like a dream :)

Pippin at home.jpg

I've started the big clean up, and found loads of goodies on board. The pippin 20 is well set up with cubby holes and storage.

Darn near burned my clutch out though, reversing up the cul-de-sac to the drive !!:ROFLMAO:

On the way home.jpg

mmcare00

Visit site
Loads done today (full day 1 of ownership) including:

• Bilges drained, flushed and emptied
  • All interior surfaces cleaned and disinfected
  • Trailer serviced and secured
  • carpets all taken out, pressure washed and shampooed
  • Headlining wiped down
  • Lockers emptied and sluiced out
  • Fenders pressure washed and dried
  • Rear rubbing strake removed and binned (a bit rotten)
  • Table removed, support rubbed down and painted with black hammerite (the chrome had gone rusty)
  • anchor warp removed and cleaned.
  • Anchor (chain and warp) locker cleaned out
  • Battery removed and placed on charge (probably dead, but you never know)
  • Cutlery, plates, cups, and cooking utensils put through dishwasher
  • Sink and under-cupboards cleaned out.
  • Many spiders evicted...
Tomorrow's big job will be to give the upholstery a good clean, using car detailing upholstery cleaner and the power of the sun.

stbdout

Visit site
Jaime-Louise looks fab. Sounds like lots of work. Same year as ours! We sail on a reservoir so less need for anti-fouling and haven't attempted using the trailer on the road - I think it would need a good service first. We've only had her a year and noticed a drip early on from the front hatch but not sure if that was just condensation. We put some dehumidifier bags in and haven't seen a recurrence but then it's been summer. The bottom weatherboard has rotted a bit so thinking of replacing at some point (are you making your own?) The keel winch also 'jumps' when lifting and haven't attempted opening up the lifting mechanism yet but would like to see it's condition and give it a bit of a service - not sure how yet so any advice is welcome.

Looking to change her name but here's ours...
1724177343897.png

mmcare00

Visit site
Hello there stdbout and many thanks for adding to the thread :) It is always good to find folk with similar interests and outlook, and I'm absolutely thrilled to hear you have an identical boat :) Where do you sail? Rutland? Kielder? You mentioned a reservoir, but I'd guess it would have to be a pretty extensive one, to accommodate a fully fledged yacht like the Pippin 20.. Not sure yet where we will make our maiden voyage - we have family in Cornwall (a long trek with a boat on the back!) and Lincolnshire who would both be very keen to get aboard. I'm quite familiar with the South Cornish sailing scene, particularly from Plymouth down to Falmouth, although it is some time since we last sailed there. I've heard good things about Rutland Water too, which might be an option from Sleaford (although there is also The Wash in motoring distance too.. Oh, choices, choices!!

I have two young daughters (currently 7 and 10) who have not sailed yet, but who I think would take to the water very readily. My missus is happy to tag along, although I can't see her getting too much involved in the physical side of yachting, other than the necessary work of raising a glass once the sun is over the yard arm :) I also have two grown up sons (one in Lincolnshire) whose best ever holiday with me (so I'm told) when they were about the same age as the girls are now was a Channel passage to France via Sark and Guernsey waaaay back in 2005 on a 43 foot charter boat with grandma and grandad (both now sadly gone).

We are changing the name of the boat too - in memory of my Dad, Frank (1927-2015) and with a nod to our names all beginning with M, she will be relaunched as FranklyM4 sometime soon.

There is still loads to do to get her ready for sailing, but I'm having a nice time picking off the jobs as we go. Do share some more photos of your sailing adventures, and keep in touch. We are practically a Pippin 20 Owners' Club already!!

All the best!

Martin, Maeve, Madelaine and Margot (and Jonny & Phil too)

stbdout

Visit site
Jaime-Louise looks fab. Sounds like lots of work. Same year as ours! We sail on a reservoir so less need for anti-fouling and haven't attempted using the trailer on the road - I think it would need a good service first. We've only had her a year and noticed a drip early on from the front hatch but not sure if that was just condensation. We put some dehumidifier bags in and haven't seen a recurrence but then it's been summer. The bottom weatherboard has rotted a bit so thinking of replacing at some point (are you making your own?) The keel winch also 'jumps' when lifting and haven't attempted opening up the lifting mechanism yet but would like to see it's condition and give it a bit of a service - not sure how yet so any advice is welcome.

stbdout

Visit site
Not sure why that posted again... sorry.

Yes we sail on Rutland water. Note - electric motors on Rutland water may make The Wash more suitable for your motor. I co-own the Pippin with a friend who hails from cornwall who will probably post on here sometime. Found it tricky to add the photo but will try to put some more on soon.

Steve

mmcare00

Visit site
Nice one Steve! I think that leans us towards a launch on Rutland at some point, hopefully this year!

As regards your technical questions about the lifting gear for the keel, I've only just acquired my Pippin 20, and haven't trailer-sailed before, so I'm as much in the dark as you. However, I'm sure we can share info and experiences to find a solution!

Martin

Neilos

Visit site
Hi Martin,

I'm the co-owner with Steve. You'll have let us know when you want to launch down at Rutland. There's a couple more Pippin 20s down there as well.
Currently in Cornwall this week and got me thinking how good she would be exploring the river Fal. One day maybe? Not seen a Pippin down this way yet.

Neil

mmcare00

Visit site
Hello Neil, I used to sail around the Carrick Roads and in and out of Falmouth, Mylor and all the creeks around there. Wonderful memories! Would be amazing to have a Pippin flotilla on those waters next summer ☀️ 😉

stbdout

Visit site
Nice one Steve! I think that leans us towards a launch on Rutland at some point, hopefully this year!

As regards your technical questions about the lifting gear for the keel, I've only just acquired my Pippin 20, and haven't trailer-sailed before, so I'm as much in the dark as you. However, I'm sure we can share info and experiences to find a solution!

Martin
Perhaps you could come down to Rutland and have a sail with us sometime. We are new this too so sharing knowledge would be great.
Steve