Pinholes discovered after apply CopperCoat?

Tim Good

Visit site
Recently I have my hull sand blasted to remove the only antifoul but I asked them to try and retain as much of the gel shield as possible. Which they did. You can see this in the attached picture where it is light green. As such I felt I didn’t need to apply more gel shield.

On sanding the hull in preparation for CopperCoat I couldn’t find any pin holes which people say can occur after sand blasting as it exposes air pockets in the original gelcoat.

However during CopperCoat application yesterday I kept finding pinholes. Very annoying! I’m assuming the application makes them suddenly visible to the naked eye.

My question is, what now?

How can I repair with the least impact on the finished coppercoat?

Attachments

• IMG_3321.jpeg
    IMG_3321.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 34

winch2

Visit site
Not an expert at all but I have finished a few boats. I hate to say this but are we looking here at some latent osmosis/water/damp which the copper has drawn out of the hull.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Coppercoat is brown when applied. Why is that picture showing as green? Why are there shades of white showing through the coating as if insufficient product has been applied? Why does the water line look as if it has been seriously abraded after a season's use when you are suggesting the Coppercoat has just been applied? The patches are not exactly pin holes but more like badly prepared surface finish on the substrate.
Just does not add up - Unless I have it all wrong
May just be the photos but does make me raise the questions
I did not bother with additional coatings on the gelcoat as the manufacturers told me it was a waste of time. I just cleaned the surface to a white like a sheet of A4 paper as I was told to do.

KevinV

Visit site
Coppercoat is brown when applied. Why is that picture showing as green? Why are there shades of white showing through the coating as if insufficient product has been applied? Why does the water line look as if it has been seriously abraded after a season's use when you are suggesting the Coppercoat has just been applied? The patches are not exactly pin holes but more like badly prepared surface finish on the substrate.
Just does not add up - Unless I have it all wrong
May just be the photos but does make me raise the questions
I did not bother with additional coatings on the gelcoat as the manufacturers told me it was a waste of time. I just cleaned the surface to a white like a sheet of A4 paper as I was told to do.
The photo is of the remaining gelshield, not the Coppercoat.

OP, as Harvey says, contact Coppercoat with some detail photos. My guess is that too dry a roller has sucked open tiny blisters, but that's just useless speculation from someone who's done it once. Speak to the experts.