Pinhole leak in my copper calorifier… Fix?

Tim Good

Visit site
So my bilge alarm just went off as I was getting into bed. Did the lovely taste test and thankfully it was fresh.

Pulled up my seating and boards (whilst dressed in my pyjamas), and proceeded to find the culprit, which is a tiny pinhole in the calorifier just below the upper outlet. Since it is a copper vessel might I be able to do a plumbers weld to it somehow?

I appreciate this tank is now 27 years old and could do with replacing but I could also do with a fix to get me through this season.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_8013.jpeg
    IMG_8013.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8012.jpeg
    IMG_8012.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 60

Stemar

Visit site
You might be able solder it up, but I can't help wondering what you'll find when you start cleaning it up. It'll need to be spotless before solder will stick, and I reckon there's a fair chance there won't be a lot of metal left.

If it's domestically practicable, I'd be inclined to isolate it until you can replace it and boil a kettle when you need hot water.

Tim Good

Visit site
You might be able solder it up, but I can't help wondering what you'll find when you start cleaning it up. It'll need to be spotless before solder will stick, and I reckon there's a fair chance there won't be a lot of metal left.

If it's domestically practicable, I'd be inclined to isolate it until you can replace it and boil a kettle when you need hot water.
Well you may well be right. I’m thinking about injecting some heat resistant epoxy into the hole and around the outside and see what happens.

Tim Good

Visit site
Just some feedback on the solution for anyone looking it up in future:

I half emptied the calorifier and added JB Weld (steel reinforced epoxy) to the area liberally. I then released the remaining half of the tank which sucked some of the JB epoxy into the hole. I then stopped draining and let it set. I finished off with a good dose of Sikaflex over the top just because I had some available. It’s been pressurised (2bar) and up to temperature for 2 days now with no leaks.

@PaulRainbow thanks for the suggestion. I tried to find Plastic Padding type you mentioned but JB weld was all I could get the day from GSF.

IMG_8033.jpeg

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Did it!!! The OP poster the following

" JB Weld (steel reinforced epoxy) to the area liberally"

Beaten to it by Tranona
[Unwelcome content deleted.]

The product i suggested would have worked equally as well, i was using it in more demanding situations (not boat related) decades ago and it never failed once. It is not body filler, Plastic Padding was a trade name, not a specific material !!

Last edited by a moderator:

superheat6k

Visit site
Just some feedback on the solution for anyone looking it up in future:

I half emptied the calorifier and added JB Weld (steel reinforced epoxy) to the area liberally. I then released the remaining half of the tank which sucked some of the JB epoxy into the hole. I then stopped draining and let it set. I finished off with a good dose of Sikaflex over the top just because I had some available. It’s been pressurised (2bar) and up to temperature for 2 days now with no leaks.

@PaulRainbow thanks for the suggestion. I tried to find Plastic Padding type you mentioned but JB weld was all I could get the day from GSF.

View attachment 157333
Whilst you are basking in the success of your repair I suggest time to start searching eBay et al for the (new) replacement. When a 27 year old cylinder fails it is likely due to severe thinning of the copper and the pinhole solved is just the first. Perhaps you might get a couple of months, even a season, but I would place good money you will be replacing it soon. Don't ask me how I know this !!!

Tim Good

Visit site
Whilst you are basking in the success of your repair I suggest time to start searching eBay et al for the (new) replacement. When a 27 year old cylinder fails it is likely due to severe thinning of the copper and the pinhole solved is just the first. Perhaps you might get a couple of months, even a season, but I would place good money you will be replacing it soon. Don't ask me how I know this !!!
Already on it. It won’t be from eBay that’s for sure. The effort to remove and install the tank means I’ll be getting the highest quality I possibly can in the hope it lasts another 27 years.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Already on it. It won’t be from eBay that’s for sure. The effort to remove and install the tank means I’ll be getting the highest quality I possibly can in the hope it lasts another 27 years.
Here you go ,
you just need to build a airing cupboard around it :)

Attachments

• C88CB876-3FAA-456D-B656-F2DDC87B78D5.jpeg
    C88CB876-3FAA-456D-B656-F2DDC87B78D5.jpeg
    866.1 KB · Views: 10

Tim Good

Visit site
Here you go ,
you just need to build a airing cupboard around it :)

Nope. I’m having a custom made copper one built with all the valves in exactly the same place. I’ve got a twin coil with Webasto and engine circuit and it’s right under all the cabinets. It’ll be a total arse of a job to re run everything, cutting and extending hoses.

Hoping also to add a dual 240/12v heating element. At the moment with all this sun I’ve got masses of excess solar potential with my 500w. I could be heating the calorifier if only at 300w trickle.