Pickling a water marker.

Carmel2

Visit site
Due to some unforseen circumstances this year we are not able to go out sailing. We pickled our watermaker at the end of the last season, but as it's going to be laid off for a much longer period than expected, should I do anything else or is this enough.?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Very interesting question Paul , I'm no expert it's our first year every useing one but I read once pickled it's good for 9months although the answer could be longer .
So like you I await expert opinion

miyagimoon

www.facebook.com
Due to some unforseen circumstances this year we are not able to go out sailing. We pickled our watermaker at the end of the last season, but as it's going to be laid off for a much longer period than expected, should I do anything else or is this enough.?

Pickling with Sodium Metabisulfite will last a reasonable time, around 6 month. After that it should be re-pickled. For longer periods (12 month) use food grade polyethylene glycol which you should be able to get from a Chemist/ Pharmacy.

ip485

Visit site
It is not just about the length of time - if there is any chance of it freezing then the Glycol is essential. Freezing will cause a collasal amount of damage. Not much chance of that mind for at least the next 6 months hopefully!

temptress

gbr195t.com

I pickled my water-maker with the intention of leaving the boat 4 months. It was 18 months before we got back and everything was fine. when we launched I followed the manufactures recommendation for flushing and then did it again for good luck --- 19K miles and 16 months later and it is all still working fine. Just re-pickled it as we are staying ashore in Singapore for a year or two now with just weekend sailing on the cards while i top up the coffers :-(

So my take is if it is flushed well with fresh water before you pickle it and then flushed well after you should be OK.