Photos: Staten Island Patagonia & The Falklands, [yet more] pics...

craigsmith

www.petersmith.net.nz
Regulars will remember our photos from Antarctica and Chilean and Argentine Patagonia from a little while ago.

Following that up is this gallery documenting Kiwi Roa's last destination in Patagonia, Staten Island, plus a look at the Falklands - online now, follow the link:

www.petersmith.net.nz/photos/falklands-1.php

After spending several years in Patagonia, Kiwi Roa has now ventured out into the South Atlantic. Enjoy the desolation and scenery without the frostbite.

staten-island-hoppner-view.jpg

South Georgia Island is up next, which will be a biggie. Stay tuned.

Metabarca

Visit site
Fabulous; I'm very envious! How easy was it to get permission from Ushuaia to land at Staten? I'm surprised that there's only one safe harbour there; there are so many inlets around (Puerto Cook, for example). Presumably you gave your destination as something other than the Falklands...
PS The Carancho is a caroñero, a carrion-eater (does that make it a bird of prey?)

D

Deleted member 36384

Very enjoyable and inspirational; I am away down to my boat now, despite an initial burst of procrastination which was rapidly developing into an excuse not to go. On this occasion I will only remove my raw water filter. Patagonia shall have to wait.

Thanks for posting the link.

taz

Visit site
What a fantastic photo journal, few words are necessary, the photos say it all.

Simply stunning.:cool:

reginaldon

Visit site
Great photo's. Take your opportunity now before the Falklands become the Malvinas - it's only a matter of time , now Cameron has destroyed the Navy and the Air Force(and not taxed the banks with the billions equal to the bonuses) and oil is now the big incentive - still we might get help from a French A/C, but didn't they supply the Argies with Exocets last time?

Last edited:

Woodlouse

Visit site
still we might get help from a French A/C, but didn't they supply the Argies with Exocets last time?
Yeah, but who sold the Argies the Type42 Destroyers that the pilots practiced using those Exocets on?:p

Anyhow, fantastic pictures. Especially of Staten Island. I only saw it as a menacing silhouette in the distance whilst passing.

Good memories of the Falklands too.

Edit: Fantastic weather too. Some people get all the luck.

Mudisox

Visit site
My goodness my coffee has gone cold and the morning has disappeared.
I have papered the downstairs loo with charts, and gained a chart of south Shetlands from someone who mistook Southern for Northern Hemisphere. Great to be able to see the landscape and what a trip.
Makes our winter sailing pall into insignificance.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Great photos but much too cold for me!

I showed my wife the photo of the boat in the middle of the spider's web - her comment was that based on how long it takes me to sort out one line ashore, we would be drawing our retirement pension before the boat was secure!

Richard

VO5

Visit site
Ditto. A bit cold for me nowadays...but what stunning pictures !

I have been haunted for some time by the raw beauty of your picture of Humphries Heights. They were inculed in a dream I had several nights ago. Thank you for posting all of these and the new ones as well. Truly stunning.

bikedaft

Visit site
there were 2 pics that puzzled me (not hard!)

a few second exposure as you were in ?beagle channel, looking over bow. you can see the glow from the nav lights, but the land is not blurry, how did you manage that?

similarly a 0.3 sec exposure of the antartic peninsula, again, how did you keep the boat still enough?

beautiful pics, and as you say, we get no frostbite looking at them. when you off to s georgia? can't wait to see them...

Greg2

Visit site
Excellent photos, brought back memories of the Falklands ('82 & '83). In '83 I was fortunate enough to visit South Georgia - fantastic scenery and an eerie experience exploring the abandoned whaling stations at Grytviken and Leith.

One minor issue on the commentary, which suggests that the 1982 Argentinian invasion and occupation was established 'without resistance'. In actual fact the small detachment of some 85 Royal Marines based on the island put up a spirited defence before taking the only viable option of surrendering. Small point on an otherwise excellent website but probably not a small point to the 85 who faced overwhelming odds.