Phantom 40 - further question

G

Thanks for your replies - but I obviously worded my question very badly. It did not even cross my mind that a 40 would be too big (I took ICC on a 43 and mainly in force 4/5s). I would like to know exactly how a Phantom 40 compares to other similar boats, eg Phantom 37 Princess XX? or Sealine 360 and so on, and which would be most suitable to start with. Should I view it like buying a house where one buys on the basis of what one sees, or is it as I imagine more like buying a car where there are considerable tecnical differences between similar looking vehicles. If the latter, then how does an inexperienced novice judge it all - it's a lotta lotta money after all The boat reports in the mags all seem to me to mainly consist of descriptions that would be appropriate to sales brochures rather than critical comment.

G

From everything i've read (lots) and experienced (some) there doesn't seem to be much in it between the big four (Fairline, Princess, Sealine and Sunseeker).

Some say that Sealine had slightly inferior build quality. Sunseeker are probably the trendiest designs but date quicker. Fairline are obviously the best (just happens I own one) and you'll never hear a bad word about Princess.

They've all got similarly designed hulls so should all be good sea boats.

Therefore it's largely down to personal taste, appearance and layout.

If the Phantom 40 is the one you like most then buy it!

As for whether you can handle it, I reckon it's all down to the person. We all know people who pass their driving tests in days, others take years. If you passed quickly and arevgenerally good at mastering mechanical things then go for the 40. If your hopeless (sounds like you're not) then start with something smaller.

Whatever you do don't be too cocky. If it's windy, stay on your berth.

Pete

G

Why not take a look at a Sea Ray 400. Perhaps not quite as "pretty" as the Euro boats, but much more spacious and probably more goodies as standard. Might be more expensive depending on current exchange rate. I don't know about resale/deprec in UK of US boats. Some of the practical things we would look for if we were changing boats: -storage space-never enough -engine access -one or two heads -type of head-we prefer the VacuFlush -separate shower compartment -guest/children accommodation(if only two of you, not worth making this a big issue) -galley space, convenience and storage -fridge/freezer size -aircon/heating -genset noise insulation -what's standard issue and what's optional eg nav equip -engine manufacturer-some more expensive than others to service/repair -minimal exterior woodwork or you'll be forever treating it unless you like the grey teak look! Presumably you are set on a sport cruiser vs. fly bridge. If so, why? (we have the former, but would go for the latter if we changed). As for your comment about UK mag reviews, I think that compared to US reviews they are excellent. In the US the publisher would be scared to say anything negative about a boat for fear of litigation! And finally, don't buy new. Buy 1-2 year-old boat and let someone else carry the initial deprec and iron out teething troubles. Hope this helps.

G

The Phantom 40 in my opinion is certainly not too big for a novice. Like all things, if you don't know what you are doing you will be a pain to yourself and everyone around you and you can do that in a rowing boat! Decent training on berthing, and locks, a bit of knowledge through an ICC on buoyage, charting, GPS, radar, auto pilot etc. With this you would be fine for coastal cruising With a reasonable preparation the 40 will be great fun and would be big enough for most activities, unless you wish to entertain 90 people or circumnavigate the globe! As regards the four Brit builders, I agree with one of your replies- the Sealine is inferior, the Sunseeker dates and the Princesss is a little staid, tending to run behind the others on new ideas and tending to be upholstered in more drab colours. I personally would favour the Fairline. I would not buy a non UK boat becase in this size there is no need and you might as well support a flourishing Brit industry.

The 40 was a very new model in 1995, the Phantom 38 not catching up until 1998. It also two other advantages amoungst other things- a very well laid out and sociable flybridge, and an en suite off the main cabin that is not accessible from the corridoor. Guests use the other one.

Rgds and best of luck Bob G

G

The Phantom 40 in my opinion is certainly not too big for a novice. Like all things, if you don't know what you are doing you will be a pain to yourself and everyone around you and you can do that in a rowing boat! Decent training on berthing, and locks, a bit of knowledge through an ICC on buoyage, charting, GPS, radar, auto pilot etc. With this you would be fine for coastal cruising With a reasonable preparation the 40 will be great fun and would be big enough for most activities, unless you wish to entertain 90 people or circumnavigate the globe! As regards the four Brit builders, I agree with one of your replies- the Sealine is inferior, the Sunseeker dates and the Princesss is a little staid, tending to run behind the others on new ideas and tending to be upholstered in more drab colours. I personally would favour the Fairline. I would not buy a non UK boat becase in this size there is no need and you might as well support a flourishing Brit industry.

The 40 was a very new model in 1995, the Phantom 38 not catching up until 1998. It also two other advantages amoungst other things- a very well laid out and sociable flybridge, and an en suite off the main cabin that is not accessible from the corridoor. Guests use the other one.

G

The Phantom 40 in my opinion is certainly not too big for a novice. Like all things, if you don't know what you are doing you will be a pain to yourself and everyone around you and you can do that in a rowing boat! Decent training on berthing, and locks, a bit of knowledge through an ICC on buoyage, charting, GPS, radar, auto pilot etc. With this you would be fine for coastal cruising With a reasonable preparation the 40 will be great fun and would be big enough for most activities, unless you wish to entertain 90 people or circumnavigate the globe! As regards the four Brit builders, I agree with one of your replies- the Sealine is inferior, the Sunseeker dates and the Princesss is a little staid, tending to run behind the others on new ideas and tending to be upholstered in fairly drab colours. I personally would favour the Fairline. I would not buy a non UK boat becase in this size there is no need and you might as well support a flourishing Brit industry.

G

Dear Sir

We are the South Coast Fairline dealer based in Port Solent. If you would like a slightly biased view (!) I would be happy to discuss the relative merits of the Phantom 37, Princess 360, Phantom 40, Phantom 42, Princess 40 etc. I can give you production dates, engine specs etc. etc. Please call me on 023 9220 1150 - Marine Sales UK Ltd, Port Fairline.

G

Looking for a boat as you would look for a woman. What is the purpose for which you want to use her? Do you want to live with her all the time? (trawler) or just want to just use her on the week ends? You want to be able to get her going fast? (Twin Gas with outdrives) or do you like a slow and comfortable journey (Diesel with a displacement hull) What can you afford? (frumpy middle age, or young and fresh) How would you spend your time with her? Fishing? (large cockpit) Harbor hopping (nice state room) As you can see there is no single answer, and there is no perfect woman (I mean Boat) it all depends on you ! one truth will stand out in any choice you make, for everything you want you've got to give up something. So Long.

G

Try thinking about it this way. Take the depreciation serviceing, mooring and fuel cost, all in for a year and devide the result by the number of days at sea you are able to manage. Then think about the real use cost per day. If you are still keen to get one and you need a hand with it send me an Email.