Petrol Engine Suppression

ultrarep

Visit site
Hi Folks,

After all the good advise sent my way regarding a VHF radio. I dun the thing most implied by you all. Scrap the old one, and buy a new DSC type jobbie.

On resplendant new Simrad RD68 DSC unit now adorns my cockpit above the instruments. (Where I used to put my coffee!)

Only problem I have is that with the engine running I get a constant crackle when recieving a transmission. Not the accelerating whine that used to accompany Radio 2 in your old Cortina when you reved up. Oh no, just a constant crackle.

Can anyone please give me some idea where to start with some suppression.
Engine is V**** AQ145A.

Is it just a matter of sticking a capacitor from B+ to ground and from B- to ground on the alternator? If so what size capacitor? any help greatfully recieved. But please no more "scrap it and buy a new one" advise it got costly last time.

Many thanks

Steve

BarryH

Visit site
Steve,

Treat it the same as you did the old cortina engine. Get the surpresser thingys from any car spares shop. After all its basically a car engine. One other point to look at is the spark plugs. Are you running the unsurpressed variety. Change them if you are as the constant crackle sounds like an ignition rather than the alternater. Another good tip is go to a car hifi place and get one of those little black box "choke" thingys that you put in the positive feed to the radio. Apart from that theres always the obvious, but replace it with something that doesn't start with the letter V!!!!

Wha'dya mean "I'm always playing with this engine" its the only way to get it to run!

ultrarep

Visit site
Thanks for that Barry. How are the carbs going?
Also, remind me how to suppress a cortina engine as I have only read about them I have never acctually seen one!!!!

Thanks

Steve

oldgit

Visit site
First thing.Remove aerial plug.Is crackle still there.If so prob coming via power lead.If gone coming thru aerial.make sure you have correct plugs in engine not cheapo non resistive ones.Have you correct plug leads not copper type.In line type thingy in + lead only any good for whine from alternator.Make sure points capacitor is OK.Check all bonding straps are there.If all else fails try shielding distributor with tin foil,you can buy proper thing from lucas/bosch if it works..Also make sure ant lead has good connection.and you could try removing
PL 259 plug and refit with good contact with plug and outer copper braid.
All engine interference is AM.

oldgit

Visit site
Re: Blooming heck!

Gor blimey guv.Someone who is paying attention.Please note this is not allowed, leave the forum immediately.

BarryH

Visit site
The only way that I've ever been able to suppress a 'tina engine is by sticking a spud up the tail pipe!

Oh yeah, the carbs, er well after a strip check and clean, it runs fine, well as fine as a Vilevo can run anyway. Only problem now, is that the raw water pump packed up halfway across the channel. Put the shaft straight through the front cover! Pissed me off big time as I had to jury rig the manual bilge pump to get cooling water through the engine so we could get back home. Mind you the wife has massive biceps now and is earning loads of money in the pubs armwrestling.

Bit of a shocker the price of a new one tho, £300 quid plus the dreaded vat. Still it is a volvo. What else could you expect

Wha'dya mean "I'm always playing with this engine" its the only way to get it to run!