personal watercraft on the thames.

china

Visit site
as much as i dont like jet skis, as they tend to jet around all over the place with no regard to colregs and saftey were i am in maldon plus being far too noisy...... i am buying a personal watercraft,but it is not a jet ski.

it is a small ten foot boat with a motorcycle type seat but with a steering wheel and an 15hp outboard engine.

i am using it to train for my boat licence.

just wondering what the points of law are concerning person water craft like this are.

are jet skis banned on the thames, and will i be allowed to take my small outboard boat on the tidal thames.

amy help explaining the law would be appriciated.

thanks.

Ramage

Visit site
You will be as welcome as a f*rt in a space-suit.

From the Port of London Authority website:

Personal Water Craft
Except in specially defined areas (see below), the use of Personal Water Craft (PWC) – i.e. jetskis, jetbikes etc, water-skiing, aquaplaning, and parakiting are not allowed on the tidal River Thames in a fairway or within 200 metres of any public beach, bathing place, residential property, wharf or jetty.

The only authorised areas for PWC are:

Fobbing Creek - Launch at Pitsea Hall County Park
West Beach, Southend - Contact Southend Council Pier and Foreshore Office
For further information please check with Southend Foreshore Office at Pier Hill, Southend on Sea (telephone 01702 611889 / 215620). Participants must manoeuvre at moderate or slow speed appropriate to the local conditions when proceeding to or from the authorised areas through the designated access routes.

http://www.portoflondon.co.uk/display_fixedpage.cfm/id/875

I do not think you can use them on the non-tidal Thames either, especially since the speed limit is 8 kph.

Better to buy a Narrowboat.....

JKay

Visit site
Is it a boat,is it a bird or is it a plane

The seat does not define it as a PWC

A better desciption would help.Just because it can do 20 knots

does not mean you have to do WOT everywhere

Give it a go and enjoy

Cheers Joe

Ramage

Visit site
Ok, having read your post again... I have answered re jetskis, but your boat is NOT a jetski.

I have seen RIBs with motor cycle type seats and huge outboards on the tidal Thames and no-one batted an eyelid.

I do not think a 10ft boat with a 15hp outboard will be a problem unless you are under 16 in which case you are limited to 9.9hp on the tidal Thames.

http://www.portoflondon.co.uk/display_fixedpage.cfm/id/869

(section headed: Person In Charge).

joeradmore

Visit site
I spoke to one of the habour masters enquiring about the same and they were very helpful to talk to. The main trouble is finding somewhere to keep one.

I investigated several ways to keep a small boat on the thames between canary warf and putney but didnt have any luck, if you have any suggestions I would love to hear from you. Joe

alruss

Visit site
Joe, is the boat on a trailer? If so many clubs on river could find room. Hurlingham Y C
Grenwich Y C just two that spring to mind. Obviously you would have to join the club.
If no trailer, should still be possible but moorings not so easy, Hurlingham have drying
moorings and I think Grenwich have the same.