Personal Insurance whilst sailing to and in France.

Caladh

Visit site
What do you do? I’ve just tried to extend by HSBC travel insurance to 60 days but they do not cover more than 12 miles from shore but more to the point my holiday must be boooked! I‘ve advised I don’t need the cover for the sailing bit but if I have a medical issue, lose my phone or have summat stolen etc also I would find it difficult to book the holiday as weather dependant blah blah blah 😕

Boathook

Visit site
I had the bishop skinner one for a few years. Covered the dangerous! sport of sailing across the channel plus you didn't require to have pre-booked accommodation like the majority of insurances.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world

Caladh

Visit site
Update from HSBC today says they won’t insure me because I have no booking for a departure from France. I pointed out a) that even if I had a departure marina booked doesn’t mean I’d actually go from that place, being weather dependant etc and also b) I was telling them my leaving U.K. date and arriving back in U.K. date and wouldn’t expect a claim to be paid outside those dates. This restriction applies to their HSBC worldwide aspects insurance cover of 31 days. If a claim is made you need to provide a ferry or plane ticket booking proof. Now looking at suggestions above. Thanks.

Tranona

Visit site
Update from HSBC today says they won’t insure me because I have no booking for a departure from France. I pointed out a) that even if I had a departure marina booked doesn’t mean I’d actually go from that place, being weather dependant etc and also b) I was telling them my leaving U.K. date and arriving back in U.K. date and wouldn’t expect a claim to be paid outside those dates. This restriction applies to their HSBC worldwide aspects insurance cover of 31 days. If a claim is made you need to provide a ferry or plane ticket booking proof. Now looking at suggestions above. Thanks.
That is quite normal for travel insurance which is aimed at holiday makers, not only those attached to bank accounts.

Caladh

Visit site
That is quite normal for travel insurance which is aimed at holiday makers, not only those attached to bank accounts.
A heads up for those with these type of accounts. We have usd this insurance policy before with no issues and had a claim some years ago pre Brexit. It took a good 5 minutes for the operative to find the requirement of proof of travel in their small print. What’s the chance of Joe Public looking into that kind of detail.…….

Tranona

Visit site
A heads up for those with these type of accounts. We have usd this insurance policy before with no issues and had a claim some years ago pre Brexit. It took a good 5 minutes for the operative to find the requirement of proof of travel in their small print. What’s the chance of Joe Public looking into that kind of detail.…….
I think you will find in stand alone travel insurance it is very clear that the cover is only for holidays that use public transport. You are right to bring up the issue about "free" insurance linked to financial products. They are often restrictive and you don't get to see what is covered before relying on them.