Pensions, etc...

Maurice55

Visit site
Hi everybody,
I've been re-building a boat for the last few years with the idea of going long term cruisng around Europe from next spring and I think it's about time to think about a few things on an "administrative" level.
I'm French but British resident and my partner is British. Where do we start to look for information about pensions (we are nearing that age), national insurance, residency and all these borring things.I know that some people do not spend more than 6 months out of the country and I don't know why, I know it's difficult to work abroad (although I obviously (I hope !!) can work in France).
Can you point me in the right directions to get reliable informations (I have looked through aquite a few pages of this forum and haven't seen anything yet, but I'll carry on)
You can be sure that any help will be much apriciated.
Cheers...Maurice.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
As already mentioned, look on the Inland Revenue website for information about your Tax position and also (because the Revenue now control the Contributions Agency) as a first point of reference in relation to UK State Pensions. It is also possible to get a UK state pension forecast if you are within a few years of retirement. Go here which provides general information and advice about pensions, though not specifically about pensions overseas. If you have entitlement to a UK state pension, it can be paid to an overseas destination when you retire.

As an EU national, you can live and work within any EU nation, subject to meeting local registration requirements with the authorities, which usually means registering with the local police. The scope of this is about to be widened by the entry of a further tranche of countries, mostly ex Soviet Union, which will mean that most countries on the N. Med coast will be open to you. Dependent on the length of time you remain in a particular country, you may or may not attain taxable status. Foreigners visiting the UK are normally regarded as liable for UK tax if they remain here for more than 6 months continuously. Or if their name is Mohammed Al-Fayed.

Hope this helps - good luck!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Maurice55

Visit site
Thank you very much, the three of you, this gives me somewhere to stick me nose in, although I must admit I'd rather spend another winter grinding in a freezing cold shed than face this lot !!!
Cheers.....

<hr width=100% size=1>

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
One further thought. Go and talk to your bank (if you dare). You'll need to have cash withdrawal facilities abroad, which they can advise you about, and I am sure that they will have some kind of package of information for potential Expats. No doubt it's primary purpose will be to sell you their particular Expat "service" but it will probably have some useful information, nonetheless.

<hr width=100% size=1>