PBO Front cover

andrewhopkins

Visit site
standard practice

To get pictures to fit into magazines you have to flip, cut, chop, etc to make it look right.

Have a look at some boat reviews and you'll see things like the galley and chart table both on the same side of the boat. They arent, its just they've had to flip the picture to fit it in.

B

bob_tyler

I had also noticed this because of the registration letters on the boat. However it is an established practice in publishing that a picture leads into the page and not out off the edge. Perhaps a little re-touching would have been advisable.

When Yachting World published a whole page picture of the launch of their yacht Barbican in the late sixties/early seventies, it was a view from dead ahead but the picture had been reversed.

The editor, Bernard Hayman, had been running a campaign for a considerable time, on the correct mounting of navigation lights, their power and cut-off angles, etc.

The picture showed that the navigation lights of Barbican were a green port light and a red starboard light!Embarrassment all round!

hugh_nightingale

Visit site
Re: PBO Front cover - not convinced

I'm sorry but I am just not convinced.

"picture leads into the page and not out off the edge" - thats just what this does.

Who cares if the boat is going left or right? OK, for Nov issues of both YM and PBO the bows are to the edge, i.e. out the edge. Other front pages are certainly the other way around.

I could see a requirement if the picture had to be an odd shape to fit text or something but a rectagular front page?

AT LEAST GET THE TEXT RIGHT

I still think its a cheat. Proably a good job I'm not in publishing.
No need to post agreement.

B

bob_tyler

I just don't understand your original posting "This is a cheap way of getting an extra piccie isn't it?"

How is it an extra piccie? Why is it a cheap way of getting one? It doesn't appear elsewhere in the magazine as far as I can see, not even the other way round!.

Anyway, the yacht appears to have sailed onto the page from the bottom righthand corner and is pointing towards the text to draw attention to it. On the YM cover from the top right of the page on to it.

What's wrong with that? It's a damned attractive picture. I can only think that for some wierd reason you are looking at both the YM & PBO covers through a mirror.

hugh_nightingale

Visit site

Well, I suppose I just thought it was a bit lax or lazy not to check that the writing was around the correct way. Yes, I did check in a mirror to make sure.

OK, so this time another copy of the same picture is not included elsewhere but I've seen it done before.

It IS an attractive picture, I presume it would be just as attractive the other way, then we would be able to read the hieroglyphics on the boat. The little inset picture is the right way around (but, note, pointing the other way!). If you wanted to point to text why not put the text on the other side?

If YM had turned theirs for so called artistic reasons or whatever we would have been looking at "RAEB RALOP"

B

bob_tyler

"The little inset picture is the right way around (but, note, pointing the other way!)". Yes, and it is pointing correctly into the page!

As to moving the text. I'm sure that you have seen that many newsagents, especially the smaller ones, have insufficient run of shelving to show magazines at "full face".
When magazines are overlapped, only about 1/3 of the cover shows and that is the left hand side, so exposing the promotional matter to draw potential purchasers' attention to the major contents.

G

Re: standard practice

Go for it Hugh ......

Its not the first yime a 'setter' has 'flipped' a picture !

As to justification for it ..... if it was my boat, I would want it the right way round !!!!

B

bob_tyler

I would hope that the setter could spell. What's a "yime" please?

G

Pity the old spell-checker doesn't work on Forums !!!!!!

You got me ! ...... TIME