Passage Plans

philmarks

www.blue-hound.com
Re: Perhaps..

I don't think that you need to worry about safety gear in the passage plan. I have a folder called "Standing Orders" which covers items like that. When I get a new crew on board I pull out one of the copies and give them each a personal copy. It also includes an alphabetical list of safety equipment, spares, tools etc with their stowage locations (spares not crew that is..). Also instructions for starting engine and MOB procedure. Needs updating now as I've moved some of the spares and drunk some of the medicine.... It also says "you travel in a private capacity as a guest". Took a bit of time to cook up, but once it's done it's done (well sort of..). Anyway to get to the point it says that Lifejackets and harnesses should be worn at night and when wind > 4 and so on (don't ask about defining sea state I can't remember how I wrote that); no going out of cockpit at night unless a watcher is present and so on. Call skipper if lights sighted...ad nauseam

I understand that for passage plans you do not have to have it written down but need to demonstrate that it has been done (under hypnosis?). I wondered whether a simple checklist or with some simple info boxes would suffice. Can print these off and just simply fill in a copy:

1. Forecast checked
2. Tides checked (I note them in log anyway)
3. Destination and boltholes
4. Tidal gates
5. Waypoints and ETAs
6.?? Safety briefing given??
7. ?? standing orders issued??

Getting to look like a CMA exercise. Currently, I just do my thinking in a ruled exercise book....but thinking of going to these forms next year.

Views?

What would you want to add to the form?

claymore

Visit site
Walked up Scafell yesterday. Thought Dear Heart had the map and Wainwright and she thought I had them - anyway - got back alive and without being fingered by the National Park Police.
If you don't live life on the edge - you're taking up too much room

regards
Claymore

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
I walked up Scafell pike last Feb.... Im just praying that the lads I did it with dont ask me again next year , they were all "outdoor pursuits" types and it damn nearly killed me!!

Passage plan went wrong on the descent and we had to wade across a river to get back to the car.

Nick

hlb

RIP
Visit site

The passage plan dont seem much of a problem but what about that great big radar reflector your supposed to have. Aparently small ones are no good and only ones that work seem to be about six foot square!!

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

claymore

Visit site

Hmm
I've seen a number of boats with 2 reflectors on - one each side of the mast -kind of back to back at spreader level, seems a bit OTT?
I used to have a thing like a pair of donkeys balls on the top of the mast which was a neat arrangement and supposed to offer all round spotability. Not sure how the donkey felt about it.

regards
Claymore

claymore

Visit site
The advantage

to getting older seems to be that one can confess to being totally knackered. As a young roughie toughie outdoor adventurer that was always considered a bit wet and so one suffered in silence.

regards
Claymore

oldharry

Visit site
Re:Old Harrys passage plan:-

Formally logged here so that any official who REALLY wants to know my intentions can look it up without waking me/ turfing me out of my bunk/the bar or whatever:

1 Go sailing this week

2 Head down harbour past Chi Bar Beacon

3 If the wind is in the east turn right

4 If the winds in the west turn left

5 Any other wind - toss for it.

6 No wind, head back to 'Crown and Anchor'

Repeat x7

8 After 7 days ring wife to find out where I am

9 Emerge from Crown and Anchor

Go home.

Happy Sailing all! Back in a weeks time (if I can rember the passage plan to get home again.....)

jollyjacktar

Visit site
A bureaucrat\'s dream

Where did they dream this up from? Any careful skipper will assess the situation and make plans [they do not need to be written down] otherwise he wouldn't be able to untie his boat and leave the dock. Careless skippers do not make plans and disappear at sea or drive around in circles. Good ridance to them. Some bright spark saw the sort of planning that is needed for aircraft flight plans especially with light aircraft and decided that this should be applied to boating as a mandatory safety requirement. Watch out, next you will need to get a licence to go solo first, then an endorsement for passengers and then..... and then...... and then........ The price of liberty is eternal vigilence.

ccscott49

Visit site

I have a biggish radar reflector, I also have two effing big iron engines, a steel tabenacle, a steel anchor winch, steel stanchions two gigantic steel fuel tanks plus all manner of other great lumps of steel/metal. if a ship can't see me on his radar without a reflector, the bastard is either blind/not looking, his radar isn't working or he's drunk! What the bloody hell do I need a radar reflector for? somebody tell me please! Radar reflectors!! Bah! They have still to prove to me they work efectively, in all conditions! We'll all have to paint our boats dayglow orange next!