Passage planning - Anglesey to Oban

G

I would like to buy charts and / or pilot books to plan a theoretical passage from Anglesey to Oban. They do not have to be up to date or in very good condition. I can be contacted on graham_middle77@hotmail.com. I know this is not the "wanted" section but I though I might get lucky here.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
i have a soon to be retired old man

however his charts have pictures of mermaids on and passage advice like
'here be beasties'

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

claymore

Visit site
You could do this with 2 charts - Admiralty West Coast of Scotland and either an Imray Irish Sea (I think its Holyhead to North Channel) or the corresponding Admiralty Chart which I think will be Irish Sea Eastern Part. That wouldn't cost much.
Alternatively there's stuff on the web which will give you the information you need. An AA roadmap would also give you the general layout of where places are. There are 2 basic options East side of the IOM, Portpatrick, Sanda, Gigha, Oban or IOM, N.Ireland - Ardglass Bangor, Rathlin/Ballycastle or somewhere - then across and keeping to the west side of the Sound of Jura - Craighouse, S of Luing, Firth of Lorne - Oban

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
The great thing about half of this trip is that you can have favourable tides almost all the way. Leave Holyhead just before LW, carry the flood all the way to Chicken Rock off the W of IOM, then carry the ebb right through to Portpatrick. Possible entry problem at LW Portpatrick but you can anchor off if necessary. Assuming typical prevailing wind direction you can carry your spinnaker for the whole passage and have a wonderful time.

If not then it can be utterly horrible, wind against tide the whole way, overfalls from IOM onwards. In this case head for Bangor marina. Great place to recover from a lousy passage. Continue north when the wind goes round to W.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Apetts

Visit site
Get a copy of the MAPTECH demo disc. It comes with a chart of the British Isles which is actually wery good for passage planning and its free.

<hr width=100% size=1>

NigeCh

Visit site
You've probably already got Ralph Morris's 'Cruising Anglesey and adjoining waters' and Imray C62. What you also need is Imray's pilot 'Clyde to Colonsay' by Martin Lawrence and the Imray charts C64 & C65 .... AND both the Admiralty Tidal Atlas's and Reed's 'Western Almanac'

The passage is straightforward - As you are only planning it in theory, then your only problem will be northing the Mull of Kintyre regardless of whether you make the passage through the North Channel from the NI side or the mainland side.

<hr width=100% size=1>