Parafin Lamps - smelling

G

Using the proper grade of parafin I still get a smell whilst the lamp is burning. Does anybody know of something that can be added to the parafin to mask the smell.

For the sake of those members of the crew who's nose is connected to their stomach via a bileduct the combination of diesel/parafin and a few pickles and crackers.......I may have to remain in the dark.

G

Alan,

Assuming a normal wet wick lamp, there are two important things to check:-

Never fill the tank more than 2/3 full. Too high a level causes an excessively wet wick, which in turn produces too rich a burn.

Trimming the wick is very critical. If you have a flat wick, trim a small portion off the “ears” this prevents the flare from these corners, which can also cause improper burning in this area, shown by black smoke from this part of the wick if it is turned up too high.

You will probably never remove or mask the smell fully, but you can reduce it. Also worth having a serious look at the mantle-type of lamps, either the pressure-type “Tilley”

http://www.tilleylamp.co.uk

or the Wick-and-Mantle Aladdin ones at:-

http://www.aladdinlamps.com

Cheers, CRB

G

Why not try a Tiley lamp? Much better light and safer.

G

Why not try a Tilley lamp? Much better light and safer.

G

I found that some of the coloured parafin that is sold with arty glass lamps was a vast improvement. It is available in green/purple/blue, from trinket shops and is a bit more expensive than the real thing.

G

A reponse to my own query!!

For those who have replied - thanks, to pass on what I have found out via alternative sources.

Citronella oil no less. A Raiders of the Lost Ark type of torch is sold here and this is fuelled with a blend of Citronella oil. The added bonus of using this is apparently it keeps mosquitoes away.

So in to the lab I go mixing potions!!

G

Re: Not more repeats

Sorry about, but my browser said the first posting had failed.

Sorry about, but my ..................!

G

Pity they don\'t do red as well, it would be ideal for nav lights! nm

nm

G

Re: Not more repeats

If you think thats bad, just look at my reply on painting a Vivacity (above) - AND I only pushed the key once!.

G

I have only found one answere in all my years with oil lamps this works.Aladin lamps ..they are great they are as bright as a till lamp ( but need no pressure ), you can use any old parafin...i use the stuff for heaters, and as a bonus they give out a lot of heat about a kilowatt i guess. I have used one for years. A word of warning ...if you buy the gimbled verietyhave a larger defuser in the top. best of luck Dave