Pangbourne, Goring & Cleeve Locks

Doolittle

Visit site
With red boards you are 'advised' to moor up. It's not mandatory at all and you can still use the lock . Having said that, sometimes the lockie will stick a work boat or barge in a lock to stop passage through it.

Don't know specifically about the three locks above. Someone nearer will shout up I'm sure.

S

Skyva_2

As far as I know EA cannot ban navigation as the Thames is a public passage; but your insurance company might look sideways if anything goes wrong?

Hire companies stop use of their boats when red boards are up as their insurance does not cover them.

TrueBlue

Visit site
EA's advice yesterday was still not to navigate at all. Red boards are the maximum severity that EA can sign, but as we have seen in the recent floods it covers "strong stream" very ditto and very,very ditto. Locks in your vicinity are still on the "very" category and all of them have difficult upstream and downstream weir approaches.

It's not the locks that are difficult - but the weir flows (Witchurch and Goring) and downstream eddies (Cleeve, Goring). If your boat has a small engine I'd say No, No.

Give the Witchurch lock keeper a ring and ask him for a status report.

viramati

Visit site
I know that sunbury and shepperton went on to yellow yesterday afternoon as I went out. really beautifull afternoon. kept away from weirs and locks and was somewhat hair-raising getting back into shepperton marina with the stong flow.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I understand that red boards are up but does anybody know if I can navigate through these locks?

Cheers

Billy

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem with these locks. Several boats have passed here going downstream