Painting outdrives

sonarbell

Visit site
Have Volvo 280 legs on my boat, used some paint that was approved by volvo dealer last season, but NOT Volvo outdrive paint, Lasted half a season and bubbled off,, This year i used proper volvo primer and paint and international antifouling, think i will need to chisel it off after a few years, i am afraid you get what you pay for !!!!!

stuartw

Visit site
What outdrive manufacturers use and what should be used are sometimes quite different. For underwater marine use, the initial coat depends on wether you can get back to bare metal. On bare alluminium, then a two part etching primer is recommended, followed by a two part epoxy primer or primer filler, then a 2 part epoxy undercoat - two coats usually. This is then followed (after rubbing down) by at least two coats of 2 part epoxy gloss top coat.
A manufacturer may well use stoving versions of all but the etching primer. This is unpractical for you, so airdried versions are the best.
For more detailed advice, contact Trimite paints at Uxbridge- website www.trimite.co.uk. Ask about marine paints as used by the MOD.
By the way, you have been correctlly informed, polyurethane paints are no good for underwater, as much as epoxy is no good for top sides (UV attack)

shetland

Hillingdon and Universal Marina on the Hamble
Visit site
Thank you for your reply the other day.
I have contacted Trimite but i didnt have much luck.
Their technical department tell me that they do not produce any paint for marine applications only for industrial use.

However i did look on their website,to see if there is any thing suitable.
In your E-mail were you describing their two-pack Epoxypolymide product (Ap 45 ) if so i can go back to them to see if it would be suitable for marine use.