painting cockpit & deck

psud

Visit site
The white gelcoat in the cockpit, coaming, etc of my 1973 boat is a bit dull to say the least - I'm thinking of having it sprayed with a two-pack polyurethane paint.

Does anyone know how hard wearing the polyurethane surface is after painting? Is it prone to scratching & scuffing or is it as good as gelcoat? Has anyone done this and if so, how did it turn out?

Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site
I would try giving it a serious polish first, with a rubbing compound such as G3, you will be surprised how well even the most scruffy looking gel coat will come up! It really is worth a go first, I did it last weekend, and now the coachroof is unrecognisable!

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
My cockpit and deck has been painted with two-pack for many years now. Hard as nails, once fully cured. I repaint every few years. One disadvantage is that its very slippery. You'll need Treadmaster patches, or whatever. I've overcoated flat areas with regular deck paint.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day psud,

Have a look at International Interspray 900, commercial quality, not cheap, Polyurethane, 52% solids with long chain polymers, very high self levelling qualities, I have used it on a number of boats with great success, produces a very high gloss that is extremely hard yet flexible.

And no I don't have any connection with them, I just found it to be the best out there, they are on the web if want more information.

Hope this helps

<hr width=100% size=1>Andavagoodweekend, Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

psud

Visit site
Thanks for the replies,

I need to repair a few gouges and chips so I wanted to paint rather than polish, although as you point out, most of the deck will need deck paint, so maybe a good polish + deck paint will do the trick.

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
Try not to polish where you intend to apply deck paint, as it will come off quite quickly, and leave some patches behind. Looks a real mess. Flat the area you intend to paint for best adhesion/results.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>