Painted deck

SimonD

Visit site
I'm thinking of buying a Westerly Tempest which has a rather unusual defect. Although the topsides are in very good condition (sparkling in fact) the gel coat of the deck moulding looks like the pigment has been sun bleached out. So much so that the GRP is visible through the gel coat. This gives the cockpit and much of the deck (that that isn't covered in deck paint) a rather unpleasant patchy grey appearance.

Clearly the whole deck and cockpit need painting and I can factor this into the offer price (I've been quoted £800 to £1000) but my concern is that this will adversely affect the future selling value.

Any views? (and, out of interest, can anyone advance a theory on why it happened?)

Thanks

Simon

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
I think you have answered the questiion. You have factored it into your purchase price, so will a future buyer.

Did you consider putting say Treadmaster on it?

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site
I think this is indicitive of the boat having been in the Sun for extended periods, possibly the Med, where UV light is very strong. I do believe that Westerly had a problem with their gel coats around the mid-late 80's . Many Rival yachts eg Rival 34/38 suffer from this very badly.
I am sure that painting, if professionally, and expertly done, will not harm resale value, and only enhance the boat, but decks are always very costly to spray well, due to the fact that one really has to remove all fittings and fixtures to do the job properly.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Many boats have painted decks, so no harm in having it (well) done.

Often, it's 'two-tone' with a gloss finish on the areas that don't get stood on, and a matt plus sand non-slip finish on tread areas.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

SimonD

Visit site
Exactly right. It's a 1987 boat and has spent most of its life in the Med. Thanks for the comments.

<hr width=100% size=1>