Paint question

joeirish2

Visit site
I'm sure this may have been already covered and apologies for doing so again but I didn't find anything to answer my question.

Basically what is the best paint to use on a carvel wooden (mahogony) hull that is 50+ years old. (freshwater) She is on inland (freshwater) waterways so not salt water. I realise that all paints will eventually crack along the seams but what is most likely to give the longest life before this happens? Currently Hempel 53840 has been suggested but data sheet says that this is recommended for steel? Hempel do another type which is for steel and wooden substrated.WS_stripped_2023.jpg Photo attached of her stripped back to bare wood. Thanks in advance for replies.

burgundyben

Visit site
I used International pre-kote and Toplac for 20 years, they changed it and so I've switched to Hemple.

Very pleased with the Hemple undercoat so far.

joeirish2

Visit site
Hempel have a number of different top coats for different surfaces. I'm interested in what folk have used on timber hulls. I think I saw somewhere that someone was using ordinary external house paint gloss? Sandtex or similar but I can't find that thread just now. Anyway I'm still interested in hearing what others have used on their boats. Thanks

melvynpatrick

Visit site
Hello. I have used the trade version of deluxe weather shield in the past. I used a roller and foam “brush’. It looked good for an amateur. Costs about 80 pound ish for 5 litres. Used their undercoat too. It lasted a good while too

tillergirl

Visit site
Hempels

P1040887 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

Prime, undercoat, flatten, undercoat, flatten, gloss. Single pot not two pot and then you will not have any cracks unless there is a seam issue. If you get pouting, that is an indication of fresh water sealing from the deck. I agree the Multicoat should not be used.

P1040211 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

joeirish2

Visit site
Hempels

P1040887 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

Prime, undercoat, flatten, undercoat, flatten, gloss. Single pot not two pot and then you will not have any cracks unless there is a seam issue. If you get pouting, that is an indication of fresh water sealing from the deck. I agree the Multicoat should not be used.

P1040211 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr
What a lovely boat. And so well painted! what didi yo mean by pouting?

tillergirl

Visit site
Pouting is when you start seeing a seam 'bulging' outward. Bascially what is happening when fresh water is running down the inside of the hull, enters the cotton caulking which expands and pushes the cotton outward. 'Bulging' is a bit of an exaggeration. But looking at your image there is absolutely nothing wrong. With a sailing yacht one can get some small cracks in the topsides in the area of the chain plates (which of course you don't have) because the rigging constantly works. If you have a dark colour that is a different matter. A dark blue or black topsides would absorb the heat and dry the planking causing cracks.

You have a lovely craft there and well built boat.

oldsailer

Visit site
I used International pre-kote and Toplac for 20 years, they changed it and so I've switched to Hemple.

Very pleased with the Hemple undercoat so far.
I use three coats of International primer and two coats of Pre-coat undercoat and then two coats of Trilux top coat. Looks amazing when completed

tillergirl

Visit site
Never done that but over the 30+ of TG she had annual repaints, I just flattened the old gloss, one coat of undercoat and one of gloss. Pretty simples. Since I was planning to repaint within 12 months it seemed illogical to do two coats of gloss. Peeps might suggest it was not the brightest idea to repaint each year but I liked TG to be afloat all year using a mud berth in the winter and so she needed doing. Typically every 4th year, I had her brought ashore for a good spruce up.